Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shelby gt

Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

Default shelby gt

So this week I'm looking in the paper and see that one of the dealers near my house has a couple shelby gt's so I figure why not drive over and see one in person, I saw one in motor trend and it looks pretty nice but they said msrp was almost 39,000 which I think is a bit much considering it's a gt with a cold air intake and different exhaust, shocks, struts, and a very nice body kit. If I hadn't already bought mine I guess maybe buy there is no way I would trade mine in and lose the money I've spent on it so far. But anyways I go to the dealer to check it out and it is a very nice car, and I really like the way it looks, but then I look at the sticker and there asking 53,000, about a 14,000 dollar mark-up. I don't understand why they haven't sold them yet.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shelby gt

These kind of mark ups should be illegal!![sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I've been following the Shelby GTs as well. Although I see a lot of mark-ups, haven't seen a $14,000 one. At a dealership in West L.A. I saw a black GT(next to a black GT500!) and it was only $44,000(only $5,000 over MSRP) and the salesman said they were willing to negotiate(probably meet half way) so I'd say about $41,500 or so. Yes the MSRP is around $39,000 and that is about $6,000 more than a fully loaded GT coupe(CA Special), so I see your questioning of "why so much more" if it's only the FRPP handling package($1100.00), FRPP CAI($700.00), Hurst shifter($300.00) and special Shelby badges and stripes(maybe $1000.00), so that's about $3000 over a loaded GT. I guess one must contribute to the Shelby heart foundation, huh? Oh well...........btw the GT500 was marked up to $65,000($20,000 markup) and they would entertain offers........
Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

stealerships [:@]
Old 04-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

The ability to charge whatever you want for what you are selling is what makes this the greatest country for business. Take away that ability and the next time you sell your property let's see how happy you are! I'd rather have dealerships that markup Shelby GTs to over $50,000 than live in a country were prices are set. I don't like standing in line for bread, gasoline or a new car.

Anyway, just look at the list of parts Shelby installs on a premium GT (some with NAV and auto) and add your installation costs. If you do all the work your self add in the amount you make per hour at your job. Is that really such a bad deal for an instant classic?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/433565365715492D9D35250AA0C6E53D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

Well I could see paying the 39,000 for it but I would never pay the huge mark-up from the dealer, I guess ifI was rich and was going to put it in a garage for 20 to 30 years, it might be a good investment, but I'm not and I would want to drive it. If I was going to spend 50,000 I would buy a saleen mustang with a superchargerthat would be alot more fun to drive or a corvette. But your right they should be able to charge whatever they can get,the salesman said they haven't had anyseriousoffers yet and they would come down some, but I wouldn't pay over list because I want a car to drive not topark.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 3v4.6l

Well I could see paying the 39,000 for it but I would never pay the huge mark-up from the dealer, I guess ifI was rich and was going to put it in a garage for 20 to 30 years, it might be a good investment, but I'm not and I would want to drive it. If I was going to spend 50,000 I would buy a saleen mustang with a superchargerthat would be alot more fun to drive or a corvette. But your right they should be able to charge whatever they can get,the salesman said they haven't had anyseriousoffers yet and they would come down some, but I wouldn't pay over list because I want a car to drive not topark.
or do like I did....buy a 2005 mustang gt premium with only 4000 miles on it in june of 2006 and in 6 or so months...do what ya want to it add the supercharger and new pulleys...injectors, suspension upgrades etc and I am still at $32,000....for all well under the 39K list for a shelby gt or 49K for a roush stage 3 or 427 r and well under the 53k for the saleen....hmmmdid I mention that mine gets more RWHP than all of the above and handles a helluva lot better..Shelby gt...to me is not an instant classic (IMO) the gt500 seems fun and all...but I am not a huge fan of the Shelby gt....but maybe thats just me...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

and before the haters jump in..I KNOW I can never claim MIne as a shelby gt or gt500 nor have I tried...it is just the principle...if you are a collector...and you want to seal it up in a box then fine..but if you are looking to drive a car and have fun with it...why start out so much and not just build it the way you want...just like we did in the old days..just my opinion
Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

The ability to charge whatever you want for what you are selling is what makes this the greatest country for business. Take away that ability and the next time you sell your property let's see how happy you are! I'd rather have dealerships that markup Shelby GTs to over $50,000 than live in a country were prices are set. I don't like standing in line for bread, gasoline or a new car.
Yup but do I believe the Ford dealer system is seriously broken. I know first hand people who had signed sales contracts with deposits down that did not get their special edition cars when dealers wised up and figured out there was a lot of money on the table. Took lawyers in some cases and in others it was never made right. Areal black eye for Ford.

Not saying that a dealer does not have every right to charge what they like as long as they do so in a legal and ethical manner. Dealers should be helping to build Ford's brand by providing oustanding pre and post sales service vs. running an eBay business to the disadvantage of Ford's "regular guy" performance customers.

Best way for Ford to fix this is to make a committment to build the 'Ford' special edition cars in numbers commensurate with demand. People who have got to have #1 can still pay $600k.

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Anyway, just look at the list of parts Shelby installs on a premium GT (some with NAV and auto) and add your installation costs. If you do all the work your self add in the amount you make per hour at your job. Is that really such a bad deal for an instant classic?
Yeah it is when you tack on $14k to what is already overpriced at $39k (considering a GT 500 coupe is $43K, I mean c'mon).

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/433565365715492D9D35250AA0C6E53D.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

+1!!!Im with ya Bro on this one!I think the SHELBYS are beautiful but way over priced.

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

and before the haters jump in..I KNOW I can never claim MIne as a shelby gt or gt500 nor have I tried...it is just the principle...if you are a collector...and you want to seal it up in a box then fine..but if you are looking to drive a car and have fun with it...why start out so much and not just build it the way you want...just like we did in the old days..just my opinion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shelby gt