Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How dangerous is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How dangerous is it?

Wow, I havn't had it past about 115 because the hood shake scares me! I havn't done hood pins yet because I like being scared of going too fast. I sure love flooring it to the speed limit though...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

funny how you go to a mustang forum and some ____ (fill in the blank) telling other folks to slow down. would kinda be like going to church and asking some folks to go out and smoke crack. hey daddy, find another forum like crochet circle or something. no i dont care what u think
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
MarioP3_XR4Ti
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

Just wondering how safe and stable our cars are at top speed. Like say, if you were on a long nice straight stretch of road with noone around. I just want to know if it's just my nerves giving out lol

A couple of weeks ago some worthless teenager stole an 05/06/07 GT (wasn't sure of the year for sure, as it was on the news) from Boise ID and was finally stopped after running on the rims at (according to the police) 130+ for a bit, having reached 153MPH before they managed to spike the tires. And the car seen in the news shot was sitting pretty in the median of I-84 in Oregon, looked basically undamaged. So, I'd guess they're pretty solid if they can be driven under those conditions by a presumably inexperienced driver who didn't stuff it even after loosing air pressure.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:56 AM
BlkGT07
1st Gear Member

I've had her up to 115 a bunch of times, took her up to 125 the other day.
The car felt solid. I was on a good stretch of highway ( I-87, south of the Tappan Zee),
but the hood looked like it was possesed!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

I've only gone up to 145 so far. I have seen that the speed limiter kicks in at 150, but that's not a problem for me anymore with the tune. I'm sure I've had it up there once but was concentrating on the Camero SS I was trying to catch.

I had a rear right blowout in my 2000 V6 at 90 on BW8 in Houston and didn't realize it until I thought the van I was passing was trying to get in my lane. If that car could be controlled and was stable, I'm sure this one would do better. I've had blowouts before in other vehicles going over 60 (damn Firestone tires) and it didn't bother me a bit. Just had to slow down, stop and change the freaking tire.

My avatar was taken with my camera phone. I was alone in the car on an empty road BTW.

Before yall say it, my co-workers think I'm crazy too, but I think they exaggerate.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 PM
steamfish
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teksp0rt

+1 ... I feel like an old man on here with this thread and I am only 29.... maybe I will push it to 100 or so but, 160 MPH...F*** That!
Dood... I get the thing up to 80-90 in 4th when I take off from a stoplight or stop sign. Doesn't take much to do it, when I hit 5th, I let it coast down to 65 which is my normal crusing speed for the back roads where I live.

Of course I don't do it every time, but the car really just wants to fly...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

I hit 135 last summer in my S-281 only because I was on the straightest, smoothest,most wide open stretch of country road (with no side roads intersecting) that I have ever seen in my life. It was so inviting I had to just open her up. It felt VERY solid and safe. The last thing on your mind at that point is the tires or anything else - all I focused on was the point up the road a mile or so where I determined it was time to let off.
How does your 05 compare to your 85 GTin terms of stability at high speeds and build quality?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Well, there's 20 years difference in design and technology if that tells you anything ;-) I have driven all of my cars (82 GT, two different 85 GT's, 93 LX 5.0, and the '05 S-281) up over 125mph and none of them felt dangerous by any means. The 2005 is far superior but I think that is to be expected. [/align][/align]Everyone thinks the '05 hoods shake madly, you should see my '85's hood at regular speeds!!![/align][/align]
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Had my 87 up to 145+ while racing a 944 Turbo....it was steady as a rock. LOL, the speedo stopped at 85 (3rd gear) so I had to ask the 944 which I just spanked how fast we were going The new one feels just as good at those speeds. By the way......how the f*ck are we going to go to the track and run that fast???? Won't happen for all you "take it to the track" guys [:@]
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Feels alot more stable at speed than any other car Ive been in. My hood doesnt shake at all, and all you guys who do have hood shake, you need to tighten the rubber stoppers. Im more worried about the tires blowing out than anything else... but I guess thats cause of the stock crapellis.

Quick Reply: How dangerous is it?