Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which guage goes unused

Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Project BumbleBoost (Whipple S/C)

i need a little clarification here: wouldn't running an intercooler
assist in removing heat from the engine/sc, in general? i'm still
learning.....

or axed another way:

i want to run no more than 6 psi, would an intercooler
be of any benefit whatsoever, to the engine or s/c itself?

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

The intercooler is not needed unless you run higher boost, it is used to reduce the air intake temperature and help avoid detonation,but wont help withthe engine temperature.
So in my opinon if you are going 5 or 6 pounds an intercooler is basically useless, of course if you want to later upgrade to 10 psi you'll have the intercooler but you'll still need the double pump and possibly new injectors.
I bought the HO kit but didnt install it yet, however if Ford sells it I am quite sure the tume is conservative and wont harm your engine unless you constantly run at 6000 rpm, rpm is what kills your engine.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casey39er

I went with the HO kit (intercooled) and had the 8 LB pulley installed. The Dyno tune is very conservative with a 6000 RPM cutout and keeping the fuel a little fat at the top end. Car runs great. I have been running it on the street for about 3 months now and have taken it down the track for 12 passes so far. I went for the intercooled system because I live in Arizona and the Intake air is HOT enough already and I also will probably have the engine built for more boost in the future.

Best time 1/4 Mile: 12.1 @ 116 MPH W/ 1.74 60'

Kills at track to date: 2007 Shelby Cobra, 2006 Roush Stage III, 2006 Roush 427,
2006 GT W/ Saleen SC, 2003 Cobra W/ Mods, (Just to name a few)
6000 cutout??? WOW, My car is pulling like a son of a b, I cut off at 6700 and shift at 6500 (per the Ford tach) where did the dyno show you making peak HP? Mine was at around 6400.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i need a little clarification here: wouldn't running an intercooler
assist in removing heat from the engine/sc, in general? i'm still
learning.....

or axed another way:

i want to run no more than 6 psi, would an intercooler
be of any benefit whatsoever, to the engine or s/c itself?

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

The intercooler is not needed unless you run higher boost, it is used to reduce the air intake temperature and help avoid detonation,but wont help withthe engine temperature.
So in my opinon if you are going 5 or 6 pounds an intercooler is basically useless, of course if you want to later upgrade to 10 psi you'll have the intercooler but you'll still need the double pump and possibly new injectors.
I bought the HO kit but didnt install it yet, however if Ford sells it I am quite sure the tume is conservative and wont harm your engine unless you constantly run at 6000 rpm, rpm is what kills your engine.
Of course an inter-cooler would help in any boosted application, Saleen makes close to 400rwhp on 4 lb of boost, besides if you SHOULD decide to do a pulley change later, you already have a great basis for achieving this. An inter-cooler lessens the air intake temp to assist in using less boost to make the same if not more hp(without a pulley change). It helps save engines......
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks everyone for the comments.

now it's time to find the best price for this
kit

Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Casey39er

ORIGINAL: viking396

I went with the HO kit (intercooled) and had the 8 LB pulley installed. The Dyno tune is very conservative with a 6000 RPM cutout and keeping the fuel a little fat at the top end. Car runs great. I have been running it on the street for about 3 months now and have taken it down the track for 12 passes so far. I went for the intercooled system because I live in Arizona and the Intake air is HOT enough already and I also will probably have the engine built for more boost in the future.

Best time 1/4 Mile: 12.1 @ 116 MPH W/ 1.74 60'

Kills at track to date: 2007 Shelby Cobra, 2006 Roush Stage III, 2006 Roush 427,
2006 GT W/ Saleen SC, 2003 Cobra W/ Mods, (Just to name a few)
6000 cutout??? WOW, My car is pulling like a son of a b, I cut off at 6700 and shift at 6500 (per the Ford tach) where did the dyno show you making peak HP? Mine was at around 6400.
I have the 6000 RPM cutout so I won't be pickingmy engine pieces up off of the roadway.
The engine is making approximatly 515 HP at the flywheel @ 6000 RPM and that is all I am willing to risk with the stock rotating assembly.

Anyway, I found the best price for the complete HO kit intercooled (black) at the following web site. and they don't rape you for shipping charges.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...=superchargers

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah, i was looking at s u p e r c h a r g e r s online and also
our good friends over at lethal. lethal has the non ic kit for
about $200 less

Anyway, I found the best price for the complete HO kit intercooled (black) at the following web site. and they don't rape you for shipping charges.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...=superchargers

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Hey bro.. Thanks for the mention..

I've been following this thread for a little and now it's time to chime in.

As far as running the Intercooled setup with only 6lbs you really aren't going to see any benefit powerwise or with efficiency over not using the intercooler. The heat that's created from the 6lbs isn't a level that needs to be intercooled. Thats why most standard or low boost kits don't come with an intercooler. Though when you start upping the boost from the 6psi range the intake temps will go up and at that point you want the intercooler not only to help make the power with a cooler air charge but also for safety. Running too much boost with no I/C will put a lot of stress on the engine as the cylinder temps will be high as there is no cooling of the intake charge. This can cause lean conditions allowing for detonation and pinging which can damage a motor.

My suggestion is this:
If your goal is only 400rwhp and you're going to limit yourself to 6lbs than just go with the non-intercooled kit as that will be enough to reach your goal. However if you're anything like me or the rest of us out there you will eventually want more. I know you may stick to that 400rwhp goal for a little bit but then you will want more. Thats just the name of the game. So keeping that in mind if you spend the extra $$ on the H.O. Kit you can do everything at once and still run a lower boost level to get your current goal but when the time comes when you want more (and it will..LOL) it's just a pulley swap and tune that keep you from having 500hp.

Let me know if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks Jared! your expertise & advice, are well respected in the
mf community.

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

As far as running the Intercooled setup with only 6lbs you really aren't going to see any benefit powerwise or with efficiency over not using the intercooler. The heat that's created from the 6lbs isn't a level that needs to be intercooled. Thats why most standard or low boost kits don't come with an intercooler. Though when you start upping the boost from the 6psi range the intake temps will go up and at that point you want the intercooler not only to help make the power with a cooler air charge but also for safety. Running too much boost with no I/C will put a lot of stress on the engine as the cylinder temps will be high as there is no cooling of the intake charge. This can cause lean conditions allowing for detonation and pinging which can damage a motor.

My suggestion is this:
If your goal is only 400rwhp and you're going to limit yourself to 6lbs than just go with the non-intercooled kit as that will be enough to reach your goal. However if you're anything like me or the rest of us out there you will eventually want more. I know you may stick to that 400rwhp goal for a little bit but then you will want more. Thats just the name of the game. So keeping that in mind if you spend the extra $$ on the H.O. Kit you can do everything at once and still run a lower boost level to get your current goal but when the time comes when you want more (and it will..LOL) it's just a pulley swap and tune that keep you from having 500hp.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Which guage goes unused

the whipple is on order, thanks lethal!

now the question is, which guages are most important.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

I've been following this thread for a little and now it's time to chime in.

My suggestion is this:

I am glad you said most...saleen is low boost kit that comes with an intercooler..but honestly to the original poster whatever you order...whipple, KB or what have you...you will love it...Lethal will also be very good to you in making you a great deal...just my opinion