Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger and daily driving question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger and daily driving question

Please dont flame me b/c you think I havent researched the subject but I need to either get this supercharger notion out of my head completely or continue to read and dream about the things 24/7 to come to a decision.
My question for those of you that are supercharged, is it really functional to install a supercharger on a daily driver?? and please keep in mind, I have to drive this thing everyday. I'm in VA and the Winters can be pretty chilly on occasion. Also need to consider a good bit of Interstate travel. I appreciate the honest and unbiased comments, this place can be quite helpful at times.

Thanks in advance! and expect more questions.....
Old 04-13-2007, 07:19 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger and daily driving question

A supercharger is just basically a fan that runs off of your motor's power....and unless you put your foot down, the system doesn't even "turn on". Your car will drive exactly as it does now....but when you WANT to go fast, put that foot down and all of a sudden you're flying.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

superdave, I know how a supercharger works. Do you have one? if so, do you drive your car everyday?

Thanks man
Old 04-13-2007, 07:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

stop dreaming and order the s/c already! believe
me, i had the same problem.

ORIGINAL: aclass

Please dont flame me b/c you think I havent researched the subject but I need to either get this supercharger notion out of my head completely or continue to read and dream about the things 24/7 to come to a decision.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Yes I own one, but I have not gotten one for the Mustang yet. I have a supercharger on my truck, and yes, until I got the Mustang I drove it every day.

superdave, I know how a supercharger works. Do you have one? if so, do you drive your car everyday?

Thanks man
Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

My question for those of you that are supercharged, is it really functional to install a supercharger on a daily driver?? and please keep in mind, I have to drive this thing everyday. I'm in VA and the Winters can be pretty chilly on occasion. Also need to consider a good bit of Interstate travel. I appreciate the honest and unbiased comments, this place can be quite helpful at times.

Thanks in advance! and expect more questions.....
I had the same concerns...I just had my Saleen installed and I love it...IT is my daily driver...I drive allot of city traffic. I wish I had some more highway driving as it would help my gas tank. Dont be fooled..it will cost a little more in the gas pocket....but to me its worth it. I just changed pulleys to get even more boost and quite frankly...I love it. Why not drive to work and drive home and enjoy yourself that much more. Personally, get off the fence, and get one...you will not regret it...[sm=gears.gif]good luck-- TJ
Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Thanks TJ, can you give me the specifics on your Saleen S/C so I can do some research. Where did you buy it from?

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Just think of the passing power you'd have on the Interstate lol
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking the same thing about an s/c when i get some money...but wondering how much does the s/c actually cut down on gas mileage???
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

its not the supercharger persay that kills the gas mileage if you stay out of boost, its the larger injectors that you install and your tune.

Gas mileage will drop...but the car will run the same for daily driver...just had the power IF you need it or want it and the push of a pedal. Gas mileage wont drop THAT much at all if you put 39lbs injectors and stay out of boost. The gas just drains as soon as your step into the boost.

Superchargers help engines run and breath easier, so it will help your engine perform, even without boost...and if you get the intercooler, it will still push in cold air, again, even if your using the boost. All in all, its a great help for your engine, gas mileage will drop because of the different injectors, and it gives you the availability of huge power gains at the push of the pedal

Quick Reply: Supercharger and daily driving question