Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

have a question and need opinions on an '06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:22 AM
lancefro

Default have a question and need opinions on an '06 GT

hi guys,
Im thinking about buying an '06 GT with 2700 miles on it. The car has a couple of upgrades. An SCT tuner, Demolet air intake, flowmasters, and 4.10 gears. Ive seen pics of the car and it looks well taken care of by its middle aged owner.
I was considering taking the car to the dealer and having them do a leakdown test as well as a compression check. In speaking with the service guy at the dealership he told me that the car would have to be smogged before it changed ownership and if there was anything wrong with the motor, the car would either throw a code or not pass smog or both and besides that, the car is still under waranty so if anything turned out to be wrong you could just bring it in.
My question is this........does this sound reasonable or should I still pay someone (like the dealership)to do a compression and leakdown test?

thanks,
Badger.....
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: have a question and need opinions on an '06 GT

if you do end up purchasing the vehicle, i sincerely
hopethatany issues that may arise, are indeed
covered under said waranty

good luck and i hope it all works out

ORIGINAL: lancefro

hi guys,
Im thinking about buying an '06 GT with 2700 miles on it. The car has a couple of upgrades. An SCT tuner, Demolet air intake, flowmasters, and 4.10 gears. Ive seen pics of the car and it looks well taken care of by its middle aged owner.
I was considering taking the car to the dealer and having them do a leakdown test as well as a compression check. In speaking with the service guy at the dealership he told me that the car would have to be smogged before it changed ownership and if there was anything wrong with the motor, the car would either throw a code or not pass smog or both and besides that, the car is still under waranty so if anything turned out to be wrong you could just bring it in.
My question is this........does this sound reasonable or should I still pay someone (like the dealership)to do a compression and leakdown test?

thanks,
Badger.....
Old 04-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I doubt anything is wrong with the car, it has really low miles and was adault driven. Can't really go wrong there.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I'd ask the dealer if they will still service the drivetrain under warranty with the 4:10s. Something you may have upgraded anyway, but it'd be good to know either way. If not, either find another dealer or take the gear upgrade into consideration. May also want to find out what gears were put in and who installed them. Bad installs can give you plenty of headaches down the line which the dealer won't touch under warranty.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

How much?? you might just want to get a brand new one; there just getting cheaper closer we get to 09(new muscle cars plus a face lift for the stang)

Warranty another big issue that i hear alot of; my car bone stock. But if you type in warranty under search, there a ton of topics on void warr cuz of bolt on parts...specailly the sct tuner; and 4.10gears. Like i said before I have no hands on w/ this cuz my car stock but iv been on this forum long enough to know that there are dlr out there voiding warrantys.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:51 PM
lancefro

guys,
thanks for the replies. The Ford Motorsport gears were installed by a reputable shop and not somefly by night placeso Im not real concerned about that in fact I may even take it back to them and either install the stock ones back in (owner kept them) or get something like a 3.73 or 3.55 instead since I do a lot of freeway driving.
Im still curious to know if there was something wrong with the motor would the car more then likely fail the smog test or at least throw a code (which would fail it as well I guess) or would it be better to take the car and pay for a leakdown and compression test or is it more then likely the motor is fine with 2700 miles on it?
thanks,
Lance.....
BTW the car costs $23.500 and its a GT Premium.........good deal?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

its a fair price; but imo i would buy a new one. No worrys you know? brand new, no one drove it buy you. You can get 3.55 gears from the factory if thats what you want. Like i said before it easy to pick up a deal on a new GT now.

Either way; youll be happy w/ the mustang GT. It is a very fun car.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

personally, i would spend another 3-4 thousand just to
be the first owner.

only you can really say if it's a good deal, or not

if you get it, i'm very confident you'll love it

ORIGINAL: lancefro

BTW the car costs $23,500 and its a GT Premium.........good deal?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

First of all, why is the seller selling? With only 2700 miles on the car, sounds like it might have been a second/weekend car. Will the seller provide a CARFAX? Why would you need a leak-down/compression check with less than 3K on the odometer? If indeed there's a malfunction, wouldn't a "check engine light" come on? Have you driven the car? Does it feel down on power to you? At 23.5K, doesn't sound bad(will he come down another 1K). Those added mods are about
$1,300-1,500 installed, so if you buy a new '07(let's say near invoice), a Premium GT is about $24K at invoice($27,400 MSRP), so factor in sales tax/doc. fees/plates & fees you're at about $26.5K, and those mentioned upgrades would push that to $28K or so. Sounds like a $5,000 question, huh?(provided you can get a new one that cheap). I'd visit a Ford dealer, tell them the proposition and can they make it worth my while.......unless the seller is desperate(maybe $21K) and all checks out.