Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Carbon buildup on exhaust

Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon buildup on exhaust

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

Anybody noticing a pretty substantial carbon buildup on their exhaust? I installed my Borla Stingers about 5 or6 months ago and haven't cleaned them at all. I was thinking it was nothing more than a residue on the inside bottom part of the tips, but it's not coming off easy. Is this normal? Gasoline in AZ is all up to 10% ethanol, and I'm not sure whether ethanol burns into carbon in the cats or something like that which might cause the issue.

Is there a particular cleaner or method to keep them clean? Is steel wool a bad idea? Thanks.
I think that if you have your car dyno'd you'll discover that your running a little rich.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

First I thought it was running rich......then I find out this is normal. Clean it off and it comes back within a day or two.
Same here. I wipe the pipes off every wash.
I think I am running a little rich myself.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Actually I was running rich, until I started my mods......now I'm running poor
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree do not use steel wool. I would use a brake cleaner on it at first while washing the car and then use Never Dull or any SS and chrome polish. Dab a little on the pipe and work into the pipe until it turns black on the rag and than with a clean cotton or microfiber rag buff to a smooth shine. If you have tar and bugs and crap that really sticks to the tip than your finger nail with a good bug and tar remover first than the polish after. Repeat as many times as necessary and you really dont have to put a lot of elbow grease into it if you chose not to as you let the product do the work and trust me it will be better than new. I do this for mine now and when I had all those fox body stangs the LX version had the real long tail pipes which I think is bad *** and mean looking. Ikept them with a mirror like shine the whole time I owned the cars. Later J
ORIGINAL: StangPilot

I asked this question in the detail section and got some good replies. I also have the Borla's and know exactly what you are looking at. I think it's just the rolled tip that collects the carbon from the exhaust. If you feel the tip, the roll goes into the pipe and stops. That lip catches alot of heat and grime that collects on the outside of the tip.
Go buy some Never Dull. This will take the grime off your tips and then I use Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner to get the mirror finish.
Steel wool is a BAD IDEA!! You will scratch the **** out of your tips.
Good luck.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I just use chrome polish. Mine are always black, and I have to clean them every time I wash. I know Im running rich (friend said my pipes flamed the other night when I revved it up), but would running rich really lead to more buildup?