Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune "fades" with time?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Tune "fades" with time?

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still not clear on it: How many of you felt like the tune "faded" or lost it's "punch" after driving awhile? I've read that some people experienced this, and that it was due to the computers ability to learn your driving style and adjust performance accordingly. Some people say they reload their tune once a week or so to regain the benefits. Any truth to any of that? My stang is my daily driver, mostly highway, so I don't often get a chance to drive it like I stole it. I don't want to get a tune only to have it feel sluggish again after a week. But I still want to eliminate the throttle lag when I do get the occasional chance to stomp on it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune "fades" with time?

If a tune is spot on, then there should be nothing for the computer to learn. What your dealing with is just the consequences of having a canned tune.The ECU has what are called Long term trims and Short term trimsfor both fuel and timing. Short term trim modifies the map on an immediate basis based on input from Knock sensors and O2 sensors. Long term is used as a modifier for themap itself, and is created after so many "hits" on a single cell in the Short term map. If there's no knock and the AFR's are good, then the map itself won't have to change, and your performance won't either. For the purposes of the Long and Short term, trims, if someone hasn't hooked directly up to you car and spent some time tuning it, it's not alot different than the canned tunes.

Of course, this is a bit oversimplied of an explaination, but it should get the idea across well enough.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still not clear on it: How many of you felt like the tune "faded" or lost it's "punch" after driving awhile? I've read that some people experienced this, and that it was due to the computers ability to learn your driving style and adjust performance accordingly. Some people say they reload their tune once a week or so to regain the benefits. Any truth to any of that? My stang is my daily driver, mostly highway, so I don't often get a chance to drive it like I stole it. I don't want to get a tune only to have it feel sluggish again after a week. But I still want to eliminate the throttle lag when I do get the occasional chance to stomp on it.
Ifeel your pain man.[sm=boohoo.gif]

Here is whats happening. When you first dump in the tune the KAM (keep alive memory-volatile ram) is erased.For lack of better words, the trending of theengineshistoric operation. This information is always being fed to the PCM the PCM takes this information and uses it to update/control the A/F for better gas milage.
This is why when you first dump in the tune the car runs like a bat otta hell, but as miles are put on the car the KAM slowly starts making adjustments for better fuel enonomy.
I do have to say that since running the SCT and tunes from Doug this issue is not very noticable. I'm very pleased with the out come.

For your information please seethe email I received from SCT. (I asked about Adaptive Learning)

Hope this helps ya.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

The Ford computer has two modes. Open Loop and Closed Loop.

In Open Loop (startup, and wideopen throttle) the computer fuels based off of the base fuel table and MAF transfer function. The stock 02s are not used. The base fuel table is where you command what AFR you want. It’s a table that has throttle position on one axis, RPM on the other. The cells are displayed in lamda (AFR basically)

Closed Loop is where the car is most of the time. Idling, part throttle driving. Here the car receives feedback from the factory 02s as to if the car is rich or lean. This is good, the car makes corrections based off of it, and gas mileage and emissions are good. From Ford, the corrections that are learned are applied to wide open throttle too!!! This is bad! We always turn that off. The car can still learn, but only at part throttle, it will not apply the corrections to other places.

Having adaptive learning off isn’t necessarily bad, but its not something that has to be done. Ford put Adaptive Learning in the computer for a reason.

End email.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

When you get a tune done make sure the adaptive learning is turned off. I believe you can access this from the SCT or Predator tuner. That should help. If it is off and you "feel" like it is slower or different than it is just your perception that has changed as you have gotten used to it over time. When in doubt just go back to the stock tune and see how it runs and than load your tune back after a while for a comparison. I am sure you will feel the difference. If you are still worried after all that than disconnect the battery from the car and wait 15 minutes and than reconnect the computer and it will reset and re-learn your driving habits and you can load the tune again and see if it changes the way you "feel". JMO J
Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: mygt500

When you get a tune done make sure the adaptive learning is turned off. I believe you can access this from the SCT or Predator tuner. That should help. If it is off and you "feel" like it is slower or different than it is just your perception that has changed as you have gotten used to it over time. When in doubt just go back to the stock tune and see how it runs and than load your tune back after a while for a comparison. I am sure you will feel the difference. If you are still worried after all that than disconnect the battery from the car and wait 15 minutes and than reconnect the computer and it will reset and re-learn your driving habits and you can load the tune again and see if it changes the way you "feel". JMO J
If this is true please do share because I do not see it in the Predator options. I havent hooked up my SCT yet but I dont think its there either?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

do B ama and Bren turn off adaptive learning by default?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Dont know that is why I am curious all of the sudden. I know that I had Dougs torq tune in for about a month and it did not feel like it fell off any. But many people state that it seems to fall off. My guess is that they get used to it and I agree going back to stock will change you mind about it not working.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello,
I have the SCT tuner and the guy that dyno tuned the car said that it could be turned off from the tuner device itself. So I responded only based on what I was told by the tuner. I personally have no exp with the device but will soon as I am taking the car back to have new tunes put on when I get my S/C this summer. Sorry as this is no help for you right now. Can anyone else chime in and give a definite answer? Thanks J
ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: mygt500

If this is true please do share because I do not see it in the Predator options. I havent hooked up my SCT yet but I dont think its there either?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree it can be turned off but I think it has to be done with the tuner software that the tuners actually use when writing the tune.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You are probably right Matt! I'll call him in the A.M. and ask if that is the case (which makes sense to me). J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune "fades" with time?