Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

thinkin of upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 PM
96PonyGT
1st Gear Member

Default thinkin of upgrading

Hey guys. I currently drive a 1996 Mustang GT with some bolt ons, nothing special. My dad has an 05 GT and im thinkin of buying one too, I was just wondering how you guys like yours and any problems youve had with them so far? I know its a big bump in power, and I love my little SN-95 but id rather start with something alittle better for mods. Anyways, help me out here and soon I hope to have a new stang!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: thinkin of upgrading

Are you thinking of buying new or used? The '07s have some things a little different in regards to tuning and other changes Ford did to software that's in the '07s. The '05/'06s are pretty much the same. I owned an '05 GT for 18 months, then traded to an '06 GT late last summer(both were bought new).
If you're digging your Pop's '05 GT then by all means buy one, there's new items being sold nearly everyday for the S197s(since it's the latest Mustang), so like you've stated, it's a much better platform than the early mod engined GTs from the mid 90's to start modifying.
The minuses? Well some GTs(mostly the '05s) had gas tank filling issues(my '05 had the entire tank/filler neck/fuel pump replaced-under warranty, of course!) and there's rattles in the center dash area and around the dash ends too, but some cars are worse than others. Some cars have had electrical issues(batteries dying, lights going berserk, etc.), although none for me. Some '06 models had differential issues(whining LSDs), I heard it was due to improper modifiers added at the factory in the gear oil..... some people have reported that the whine disappears after a few thousand miles, I noticed a slight groan really early on in tight turning, but it's all gone now, so maybe the gear oil/modifiers found a common ground. Can't say that the cars aren't reliable, cause I've never been stranded in more than 28,000 combined miles between the two cars I owned(20K in the'05, 8K in the'06). My choice? Well, I really like the '07 GT with the California Special package and I've seen news ones go for around $29-30K(coupes, that is), but the nice thing is that now that we're in the 3rd model year, there's a color combo out there that will probably fit your likes......good luck[8D]
Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

this is my 1st stang and 1st 8cyc period. and I'm loving it; so fare not to many problems other than my ebrake cable froze and even though i have a late model 06; i use to have the gas filling issue. They fix my ebreak like that; never had the problem again. they look at my gas filling issue and could not find anything wrong and some how it went away when i got it back (it still does occur here and there).

As fare as the car all around, my only problem w/ the ext of my car is the cheap side mirriors, and my only problem i have w/ my int is the cheap plastic air vents. The performance is GREAT; the handling is fair for what it is and the brakes do SUCK, not going to lie. but for the money; this car is hard to beat.

w/ the 09 going to have a face lift; you might want to wait. Or atleast wait to see what they have to offer for 08.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You answered your own question by saying you like your fathers 05. So go out and get one and you won't have any regrets. Remember that many people on here might bitch about their cars not running right or making funny noises in the suspension and so on and so forth but this is only a small percentage of the picture as a whole. I mean even ifa thread about "water in passenger floor boards" has 600 posts and all from different people in the forum complaining that they have this problem you still have about a couple hundred thousand out there that may not have any problems at all and that is great IMO. The forums are great for giving factual info on a problem to be solved or solid fact based advice on what to do or change in the car or about the car. The problem comes in when people just want opinions....some will side with you and others won't but it is your money and your decision in the end regardless of what anyone says good or bad.....just food for thought...and yes I am biased and have an 06 GT with no problems so far! I did have a battery problem but I think that is fixed for good now. Take care.......post pics of the new ride if you decide to go with new body style.