Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Cams questions...

Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Comp Cams questions...

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

The three valves respond very nicely to a cam and spring change.I have done three sets so far, mine and two others. As for Comp stage three, they are good for 40 hp with good bolt ons, l/t's etc. I got 345/333 with mine after a good tune. I have seen people say that they require no tuning and I say B.S. I had to add fuel to mine to get the a/f good so I could drive it to the tuner shop. As for the BBR cams, while I researched what I wanted, I could find no real world numbers on them and heard many statements about them being regrinds and that the numbers are highly inflated from BBR. I have yet to see any real world numbers. I can't say that those statements are correct, but I decided to go with a reputable company that had years of experience R&Ding cams.

I have the factory Ford camchange workshop manuals linked in my mods page for anyone interested.
Hey Paul, that statement in bold above caught my eye. The drive from the shop to my house is about 10 miles, then a 5 mile drive to the tuner's house, then a 20 mile drive to the dyno. I assume I should be ok for the first two legs, but do you recommend the tuner hook up his laptop at his house and give the A/F a rough calibration before the drive to the dyno shop? I'm picking my car up Monday, driving to the guys house on Monday night, and I assume he's taking it Tuesday...

John
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Hey John, I already had a custom dynotune, but I put mine on a dyno right away after the cams went inand had to add in 4% to the lower rpm fuel table and 6% in the higher rpmtable(with my handheld tuner)to get the ratio backaround 13 to 1. It was lean at all rpms but especially up top. That was good enough to get me the 5 hours to Mobile Al. to get it tuned. I had an offer from one of the best tuners aroundto do all of the tuning for free since I was one of the first to do the cams. It was on the dyno for almost6 hours for R&D and because he is sucha perfectionist. Drive 5 hours for $500+ worth of custom tuning for free? Sounded good to me!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Hey John, I already had a custom dynotune, but I put mine on a dyno right away after the cams went inand had to add in 4% to the lower rpm fuel table and 6% in the higher rpmtable(with my handheld tuner)to get the ratio backaround 13 to 1. It was lean at all rpms but especially up top. That was good enough to get me the 5 hours to Mobile Al. to get it tuned. I had an offer from one of the best tuners aroundto do all of the tuning for free since I was one of the first to do the cams. It was on the dyno for almost6 hours for R&D and because he is sucha perfectionist. Drive 5 hours for $500+ worth of custom tuning for free? Sounded good to me!
Yeah, I have a customdynotune as well, but I'm just worried that it will be a little too lean for a drive to the tuner after the cams are finished getting installed tomorrow. But my drive is MUCH shorter than yours, so I think if I take it easy I'll be OK.

I'll post the dyno before/after cam install figures later this week.

John
Old 04-28-2007, 01:50 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

You should be fine, just don't stretch its legs![8D]Putt....putt...putt....putt.........

Can't wait to see the final outcome! Do you have before cams numbers? Keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

You should be fine, just don't stretch its legs![8D]Putt....putt...putt....putt.........

Can't wait to see the final outcome! Do you have before cams numbers? Keep us posted.
Dyno tuned to 302/317. See my mods (bottom of page) at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455 .

John
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Cool, I was at 305 hp before the cams, so with a good tune you will be right there with me, and like me, you will HAVE to get those D/R's. Just got mine mounted and balanced on new matching rims and can't wait to get backto the track!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Cool, I was at 305 hp before the cams, so with a good tune you will be right there with me, and like me, you will HAVE to get those D/R's. Just got mine mounted and balanced on new matching rims and can't wait to get backto the track!
Just got my DRs! Bought Mickey Thompson ET Streets 26.0 x 11.5-17LT, and stuck them on my old 17x8 wheels that came on the car. I considered the ET Street Radials but my son isn't hooking too well with these in his '87 Mustang GT. Since my ET Streets are an inch shorter that the 270/40-18s Goodyear Eagle F1sI have all the way around, I also ordered two cheapo tires for the front (235/50-17 Kumho ECSTA), to put on the other two stock 17" wheels. My version of "skinnies". I'll just have to swap all 4 tires the day before a track day. Weather permitting I'll be at the track next Friday or Sunday.

I'll post pics and videos as well.

John
Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
06blownpony
1st Gear Member

Where are you all from? In San Antonio, Tx stock 3V GT's are running 14.4 or best 14.2. Mine with Longtubes, prochamber (off road) loud mouth, air raid, predator w/ 4.10 best was a 13.4 is it me? the air in S.A.? I read a guy run stock 13.5 simple bolt-ons 12.8! PLEASE help, a confuse San Antonion.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:14 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06blownpony

Where are you all from? In San Antonio, Tx stock 3V GT's are running 14.4 or best 14.2. Mine with Longtubes, prochamber (off road) loud mouth, air raid, predator w/ 4.10 best was a 13.4 is it me? the air in S.A.? I read a guy run stock 13.5 simple bolt-ons 12.8! PLEASE help, a confuse San Antonion.
I'm in Maryland. I've seen stock GTs run mid-upper 13s all day long. Stock, I couldn't break 14.1, with my mods I hit 13.6 and am stuck there. The next time I'm at the track I'll have the cams, a new tune, and drag tires. My guess is another 0.4 off my best...

Here's a 13.7 run (I think my son in the '87 pulled a 13.4 or better) but I couldn't do too much better this day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX9KtIy7yy0

John
Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

My bests were 13.2 in the quarter (1.68 60 foot on KDW2's)and 8.5 in the 1/8th before the cams and other mods I added over the winter. Hoping to see a run in the 12'ssoon with the new mods and D/R's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comp Cams questions...