Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Triax Installation Experience (Nice shifter by the way)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 AM
harrison
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda Triax Installation Experience (Nice shifter by the way)

No, sorry, no pic's. I had no room to manuver my big honkin digital camera.

This link will give you enough pictures: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php. There is also another good one on Stangnet: http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-061016.html. There was one here too but I lost the link.

The steeda instructions say to drop the driveshaft. You don't have to. Assemble the rear shifter mount per the instructions but don't bolt on the arm at this point. NOTE: I did not want to drop the shaft but you are encouraged to follow the MFG instructions. This worked for me but you are on your own......

Get the car high enough to work on and use jackstands for safety. I built some wooden ramps: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htmbecause I did not have a floor jack and I don't like crawling under a car that is just on jackstands. Yes, it freaks me out (I've seen a few cars overcome by gravity in my previous life working at dealerships). Ramps and backup stands worked for me.....

Remove the old shifter per the instructions in the Steeda paper and the above links.

Before you get too far, really work the shifter to get the big gobs of grease well distributed.

You need a second pair of hands. Take the base for the steeda shifter and drop it in from the top. I secured it with some wire so it would not fall further than I wanted. Have your helper steady the base from the top while you crawl underneath. Take the arm and position it so it mates with the base unit, add locktite and screw in the capscrews. If you get the screws started you can tilt the unit enough to get a hex key on the capscrews to lock them down.

The rest is pretty much by the book. Screw in the trans mount bolt, screw on the rear two nuts and you are locked and loaded.

I adjusted the stops per the Steeda instructions but there was no need to take it out again (Steeda assumes you are installing from the botton). Getting the rubber dust shield back on is a bit of a trick. Silicon spray makes it a bit easier to handle.

Bold on the upper shifter arm, add **** and you are done. Start to test drive was about an hour and a half. I wish I had access to a hoist because my arms are killing me.

Mine is not hard nor sticky. It "snicks" from gear to gear and it is significantly better than the stock unit. More fun!