Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X vs H - Let it be known

Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: X vs H - Let it be known

x-pipe =raspiness
h-pipe = muscle car sound
Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

catted x... with LT's... luv em
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ADudeInNewJersey

H-PIPE FTW!
YES
Old 05-04-2007, 07:08 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

x-pipe =raspiness
h-pipe = muscle car sound
BS[sm=boosign.gif][sm=smiley35.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=bs.gif]

I am so tired of hearing the x pipe described as raspiness.: it is not even close. Now I admit it has a different sound. The H-PIPE has muscle car sound?? IMO, the H-Pipe had a sound closer to a truck....where as the x pipe sounds like a funny car. I know it is just opinions but please , Dont automatically describe the x-pipe as raspy..From some one who has owned, the stock h-pipe....then went to kooks lt headers with catted x-pipe and borla axel backs...to a custom H pipe for the kooks and borla set up above...back to the x pipe....I prefer the x-pipe hands down. State your opinions....but dont base it on what YOU HAVE heard from others who claim to have heard from others etc etc...
so to redfine your postings above
x-pipe= funny car: Open pipe race car sound....growling and full...NOT RASPY which is defined below.
h-pipe=deeper resonance : fuller bass sound....close to truck open pipe...
rasp·y /ˈræspi, ˈrɑspi/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ras-pee, rah-spee]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, rasp·i·er, rasp·i·est.

harsh; grating; rasping.

easily annoyed; irritable. [/align]

[hr]

[Origin: 1830–40; rasp + -y[color=#116699]64[size=2]] [/align]
—Related forms
rasp·i·ness, noun [/align]rasp·y (rÄs'pÄ“) [color=#568c1e]Pronunciation Key
adj. rasp·i·er, rasp·i·est
Rough; grating.
[/align][/align][/align]
Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

H-pipe all day!!! But I did hear a catted magnaflow X-pipe/SLP LM combo that sounded real tough.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

H-PIPE all day every day!! Nothing beats a deep muscle car sound. X-Pipe = Boooo! Lol, its up to the individuals taste in sound. I prefer H over X, thats all.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I plan to get the frpp X pipe to go with my GTA mufflers. It sounds good on all the online video i've seen, so if it's raspy then I like raspy.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

For what its worth, here is what my set-up sounds like, I like it but I am sure its a little much for some folks !!!

SLP Long tubes, X pipe with CATs , MAC exhaust

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/local_stream.php?action=stream&id=379
Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sounds sweet! You don't have any driveby clips or WOT clips do you? Not like i'm going to get any LT's, but i'd still like to hear it.

ORIGINAL: desslok40

For what its worth, here is what my set-up sounds like, I like it but I am sure its a little much for some folks !!!

SLP Long tubes, X pipe with CATs , MAC exhaust

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/local_stream.php?action=stream&id=379
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

some info to add to the controversey. I still say nothing sounds sweeter than driving a car with the whine of the blower boosting....and the growl of a pair of LT headers into catted x pipe and finished with FRRP stingers...IMO[sm=gears.gif]
Although X-pipes are essential for race cars, adding this modification to a stock car can be a good idea for many reasons – increased power, fuel economy and less noise inside the vehicle. This type of aftermarket performance part is something you can either purchase or have custom-made for you by a good muffler shop. Installation is simple enough for the at-home pro, and the result will be well worth the effort.

[*]The Evolution of the X-Pipe
To understand the importance of the X-pipe in relation to improved performance and power, you have to know about its roots. The X-pipe is really the offspring of the H-pipe design, which was first conceived in the 1960s by the major American car manufacturing companies at the time. Duel exhaust pipes for V-8-powered vehicles are very noisy, as there is no sound wave cancellation between the 2 separate four-cylinder engines and unconnected exhaust systems. Engineers were looking for a way to cut down on interior noise levels and improve the engine's power. They realized that running a balance tube between the two branches of exhaust pipe would work to broaden the torque curve (thus improving engine performance) and dissipate sound resonance in the exhaust system.

In the 1990s improved technological advancements made it possible to construct an exhaust pipe that, instead of connecting by means of a balance pipe at a severe 90-degree angle, could unify the two branches of pipe to create a flow of exhaust in one direction. Now X-pipes are being manufactured for popular performance cars, usually off-road versions minus catalytic converters, but you can also find them in legal models fully equipped with proper emissions equipment. Performing an X-pipe mod is an option that you should consider.

[*]Why X over H?
It has been proven time and again that the X-pipe design is more efficient than the H-pipe. Various tests have shown that for multiple cylinder engines the X-pipe outperforms H-pipe exhaust systems, especially as rpm increases, providing both better torque and power. Unified exhaust pipes work most efficiently with multiple cylinders because of the scavenging effect. With exhaust X-pipes the almost seamless connection between the two exhaust pipes allows sequential firing cylinders to salvage any spent exhaust gases from the combustion chamber more efficiently and creates more room in the cylinder for a fresh intake of undiluted fuel and air. When you have two exhaust pipes, as the velocity in one header tube increases, the pressure in the adjacent tube is lowered causing the exhaust to be sucked out of that cylinder. X-pipes are simply better at doing the job, especially at higher speeds.

All in all, with exhaust X-pipes torque and power will increase resulting in fast acceleration, improved fuel economy and a nice quiet ride. The difference is noticeable with the installation of X-pipes on a V-8 engine vehicle - interior noise is reduced considerably because you don't hear the firing impulses of 2 four-cylinder engines, but instead hear the noise of all 8 cylinders blasting out of both pipes at once.
[/ul]

Search this Thread