Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking at 2007 GT Coupe, does stock exhuast sound decent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at 2007 GT Coupe, does stock exhaust sound decent?

It will sound decent until you hear other mustangs and realize you sound like a gussied up Cadillac. A set ofFRPP stingers or SLP loudmouthswill fix your wagon. If your a real cowboy go for an O/R H-pipe. It will get you close with the local authorites. Even with stingers it will sound silent in volume compared to a car running an off-roadmid-pipe.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
ALLCHEST
1st Gear Member

I'm stock and my wife complains all the time that its too loud! Of course I'm going to end up with an O/R h-pipe and MAC axelbacks, it might be loud enough then. I was thinking she just thought it was too loud because she is a chick but a guy at work who is a die hard chevy fan was standing in our parking lot at 4am one morning. I pulled up and he was like Damn man I didn't know that little 4.6 sounded like that, I heard you coming from 2 intersections down. I told him, just wait, just wait, you haven't heard anything yet. IMO there is no car that can match the tone of a S197 4.6 3V especially with O/R pipes.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

The reason Ford used clamps and made changing A/Bs so easy was that they knew the stock mufflers were a little too quiet for many and that quite a few peoplewould be changing them out. In anticipation of this, Ford Performance Parts carries two replacements (GTAs and the stingers).

Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at 2007 GT Coupe, does stock exhuast sound decent?

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

I think the important thing to note here is that all the people who say it is quiet are ones that have a GT and have changed their exhaust.

Personally I think the stock sounds great! I had many compliments on mine when it was stock. I think for the non-mustang, non-car enthusiast the stock exhaust IS loud. Much louder than any stock Honda I've ever heard. The main reason I changed out my stock axle-back was to get the double-walled 4 inch tips on the GTAs. Now, that's not to say that I don't love the deeper, throatier growl of my aftermarkets, but the stock was still pretty good.

Exactly! (but once you see & hear the GTA's you'll be hooked too).
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the stock sound pretty good IMO.... if you want a more classic 60's sound you'll have to change out the axle backs..... be warned of the drone!! seach for tons of threads on the issue.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Definitely test drive one, they're not "quiet" they're one of the best sounding stock exhaust IMO. Having said that, I have a pair of Corsa's waiting in the wing to get a bit louder and deeper sound. Unfortunately I have to wait until my birthday to put them on :-(
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
davidy

Well I do love the sound of my stock exhaust, theres nothing to complain about. I will definately get an exhaust system later however
Old 05-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

i think the stock exhaust sounds really good. When i step on mine the engine roars, you dont hear the sound from behind you at all though... I hear it from right by the transmission... Just a deep growl...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Stock sounds decent from the ouside and ok from the inside. I remember the first timeI started it up, it was like wow...V8! But after you get used to it.....you start listening to sound clips of aftermarket exhauston the net and its like wow thats what a muscle car should sound like. Then things get complicated....good luck x.x.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
CAL

IMO, the stock exhaust is one of the loudest/best I've ever heard (for stock). Loudness and sound quality are pretty subjective. One person's loud (as in SLP Loudmouths) is one persons 'too much.'

I have an '07 GT/CS, the stockers sound good, but for an extra $270 for my FRPP GTAs--man it's money well spent. The GTAs are a little louder and idle, sound great at WOT and best of all - no drone.

If these are good enough for Shelby GT-H, good enough (and legal enough from a loudness/emissions standpoint) for me.

Everyone is right here. In the final analysis---drive one! If you're like me...as soon as someone goes by you with some GTAs, 5GTs or believe me you'll know it - SLP Loudmouths...you're hooked...just like all of us are!!

Quick Reply: Looking at 2007 GT Coupe, does stock exhuast sound decent?