Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Describe 'pinging'

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Default Describe 'pinging'

Could someone define the 'pinging' sound for me? It is metallic from what I've heard, but is it loud? Could it be mistaken for another rattle inside the car?

I'm hearing a rattle coming from the dash area starting at around 3k at WOT and I'm wondering if it could be pinging. If I open my windows I don't hear the noise anymore, it probably gets covered by the road and exhaust noise.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 AM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Describe 'pinging'

What your hearing sounds like a rattle in the dash. Pinging from your engine happens at very high rpms in most cases, unless your tune is really bad lol. Sounds like 2 bbs in a tin can and add engine the roar of your engine. IMO you can hear it better with the windows down. At 3k RPMs I imagine yours is just a rattle. Since yours goes away with windows down, it's something in the dash. However I could be wrong, and you should try and fix it if you can. If your car is in fact pinging at 3k it needs to be fixed. Good luck fixing it, with the gas in Arizona here, I have gone through 3 different tunes, and depending on the gas I can still get it to ping at 5800. Sometimes it don't, sometimes it does, wish gas was held to a higher and more consistant standard.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

sounds just like a diesel engine. you'll hear it in the upper rpm range. similar to a bunch of loose rocker arms - if you know what that sounds like lol
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

Could someone define the 'pinging' sound for me? It is metallic from what I've heard, but is it loud? Could it be mistaken for another rattle inside the car?

I'm hearing a rattle coming from the dash area starting at around 3k at WOT and I'm wondering if it could be pinging. If I open my windows I don't hear the noise anymore, it probably gets covered by the road and exhaust noise.

I think it sounds something like this, right? Someone else would have to confirm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1o6sOSQNM
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: sycd

I think it sounds something like this, right? Someone else would have to confirm.

Wow....that sounds....horrible. I guess that makes me feel better about my car's sounds [&:]
To those that are shugging it off based on RPM: I thought pinging was more prominent as the load on the engine increased, not just the increase in RPM. Sometimes I think I can hear a hint of pinging (nowhere hear what this vid sounds like) if I happen to punch it at, say, 2k-2.5k rpms in 3rd or 4th gear. Do you say then that it's impossible for the noise I am hearing to be pinging? (you very well may be correct, but I always thought it was pinging, and the computer retarded the timing to get rid of it).
Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Guys, thanks a lot for the input. My car doesn't sound anything like that video, thank god. From what you're saying it really sounds like a dash rattle. So the good news is that my engine is probably not on the brink of destruction caused by detonation The not so good news is that I have now to figure out where that rattle is coming from [:@]
Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it sounds like a dash rattle, although the manual does say a little knock is normal. I've experienced all sorts of breakdowns, but never had a car that knocked before. Here's another Mustang with what sounds like knock to me...

Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

that first clip isn't pinging. sounds more like a rod saying LET ME OUT LET ME OUT! lol