Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SoCal tuner and light ping questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
dsterbd

Default SoCal tuner and light ping questions?

I recently purchased the JLT2 intake, with SCT and Brenspeed tune. Everything seemed great at first, but I notice when I first drive my car after it has sat a while I get what sounds like really light ping, even if i let it warm up first. It only happens when I shift into second, then goes away completely afteraminute or so(as far as I can hear anyway.) It sounds like it is from the driver side, I even wonder if i could just be hearing valve noise through the CAI??

I don't want to take any chances, on other threads that I have read here it seems like this could potentially be real bad for my car??

I want a dyno tune, but do not know of a good tuner in my area. So, does anyone know of a good tuner for our cars in Southern California??

I never noticed it until after I installed my SLPs last weekend, this should not be a factor though, right??

Any advice or suggestion for a good shop would be appreciated!

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------
06GT, Black Leather, saleen short throw block with steeda bushings, JLT2 and Brenspeed tune, SLP LMs. NEED 4.10s soon.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: SoCal tuner and light ping questions?

I know this may sound stupid, but you did tell Brent you were in Cali , right? Meaning you did get a 91 octane tune and not a 93?

There are a few dyno shops throughout so cal and a couple good tuners. Let me know specifically where you are and I'll give you a couple options close to you.

'Pinging' will sound like little rocks hitting your windshield. Pinging is so bad for your car that even if you're wrong and it's not pinging, it's best to get out of it and not drive the car too much till you're sure. Pinging is THAT bad for these motors and no chances should be taken and it should not be taken lightly if you suspect it.

Pinging = Detonation = VERY BAD

PS - It is not like beer or food - there is no 'light' version - you should not consider pinging by degree of how loud it sounds or how noticeable it is. If you detect it at all - it's not a good thing for your motor.

I'm not trying to scare you - just make that point that pinging is the surefire start to something bad.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 AM
dsterbd

Thanks for the reply... I guess I will be putting my stock air intake and tune back on tomorrow after work. I did tell Brent I am in Cali though and have the 91 octane tune.

I am in the high desert (victorville, apple valley, hesperia) 25 minutes from san bernardino. Thanks for the tip, and that would be cool if you knew of someone in the general area that would do a good job tuning my car.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
dsterbd

ok...I flashed my car to the 87 tune, and am still running 91. At first this seemed to take care of the problem, so I thought for sure I had been hearing ping. Started doing it again the next time I drove the car though.

It goes away completely though after a couple of minutes. Could ping go away after you drive the car for a few minutes? It seems the opposite is true from what I have read here, It makes sense that the hotter it gets theworse it wouldping.

Could I be hearing something else that sounds similar to pinging, that would go away??

I called Brent and he offered to work on the tune, but I am starting to think that is not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas??

Im going to try another tank of gas from a different station, if that does not change things, I guess I switch it all back to factory and off to the dealer I go....bummer. Can I disconnect the battery for a bit so they don't know I have been flashing the computer? I already hope they don't give me a hard time about my SLPs being a problem or voiding my warranty some how.

Thanks

06GT, Black Leather, saleen short throw block with steeda bushings, JLT2 and Brenspeed tune, SLP LMs. NEED 4.10s soon.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

We have some good tuners at you disposal in so cal but from where you are located, I would definitely recommend Adam at ST Motorsports. He is local to you and considered one of the best around.

www.spankintime.com

Yeah,it doesn't sound like pinging to me either. I have a suspicion it's just noise related to one of a dozen simple things but I would never make any assumptions without seeing your car cause god forbid you are pinging, it's nothing to fool with or give advice over the internet without knowing for sure. Just get it looked at for the piece of mind.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM
dsterbd

Thanks man, Im off to ST motorsports after I get this damn noise thing straightened out.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

My car is pinging on harder acceleration on shifting only, My 06 auto also had pinging, on the stock tune, using 87 or 89 octane, Ford says some ping on shift is normal under hard load, also says so in the book!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

Use the 89 octane tuneand put 91 octane gas. This will fix your problem. I had the same problem...