Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

question about carwash

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default question about carwash

At my carwash they have a setting called clear coat. What is that? Also some tri color wax that is suppose to protect against UV rays etc. I suppose it's not the same as actually waxing it by hand.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:46 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: question about carwash

What's a carwash?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:07 PM
caneboy
2nd Gear Member

I have never and will never take my car to a car wash. Wash it at home with the Mr. Clean carwash kit. That thing is awsome and you wont get any water spots when you let it air dry.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

that stuff is so u can spend more money on the wash. Just wash it and wax it yourself at home.....
Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Does it also have a setting for snake oil? if not I have a limited quantity for sale. Most of that stuff is to get you to spend more. The spot free rinse supposedly runs the water through a filter but they never change the filters.

The only thing the car wash is good for is if you have to get something off the car right then or knocking mud or bugs loose. Nothing beats washing or having it washed by hand. I'll take mine to the car wash but just to knock loose dirt and bugs off.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

ja nobody has answer any of the original questions, i dont know the answer so shhhhhhhhh
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

It's not the same as waxing it by hand. Not as good by a long shot. But....

I normally wash and wax by hand any weekend that the weather is good.In-between I'll use the touchless car wash to keep the dust, splatters, and bugs down. I normally get the tri-color wax too.

Keep a towel or two in the trunk to use to clean up the water that the dryer misses.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It's just a protectant for the clear coat. Some sort of wax. We have a brand new car wash here that I use. They take credit cards so you don't have to worry about money, and even have carpet shampooer and new car smell spary scent. Don't need the new car spray yet.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Our cars deserve hand washing. Some carwashs can leave scratches and definitely mess up your front license plate it you have one. In between, I use a California detail brush to remove the dust and a damp cloth for everything else. I use Maquire's three step wax system once every six month and just add a coat of wax when I feel like it.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

wow, this is alot of smack for a guy who asked a question about what the car washs use!!
he never asked IF he should be going...

who cares how he washes his car, atleast hes keeping it clean...

i myself use a touchless when im on the road or too busy, because your right, if the car wash touches your car, there is a good chance it will leave scratches, mainly becuase its been collecting all the dirt and crap from the cars before you and most gas stations dont take car of the car washs, hence why i stick with touchless...

As for your original question...

the clearcoat- atleast from my experience it is a very thin layer of wax that is just sprayed on...VERY THIN...and most of the times its the SAME thing thats in teh tri-colour wax..but this way they can charge your double the price...

tri-colour wax - its a cheap form of wax, again, just sprayed on, so its never going to cover the surface properly, but hey, you gotta work with what you have...

its best to do the waxing yourself, that way you know its being applied evenly....i myself get the deluxe wash because many a time I have the grill covered in bugs and dirt and other ****, so i want to get it cleaned off and get a nice shine...I have yet to have ANY problems with a touchless, the cloth ones, well, lets not go there...