Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 AM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Break in

soo i bought my car late february 07. and i have about 2,350 miles. i tryed the easy driving into ruff for the break in. the first hundred miles i didnt pass 3k next hundred 4k once i reached about 400 miles i started opening it up a little not to redline tho and around 600 miles i pretty much started racing launching...... now i was wondering when should i switch over to mobile one synte. ive heard that the factory oil has some additives to help break in. also anyone heard of Lubro Moly Oil. g35 friend of mine uses it and praises it.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:46 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Beak in

Myth.

You can switch at any time, it will still breakin. Remember, many cars come straight from the factory with synthetic, including Mobil 1, like all Porsches and Cadillacs, as well as many more I can't remember...

People will disagree, and their points are valid, but this is my belief and im stickin to it!

Thats how you BEAK in.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Beak in

Switch anytime you likey. I switched at 500 miles to get the breakin trash out on my engine. Vette's comw with M-1 too. Also, don't baby the breakin. Vary your speeds and you should included some WOT sometimes. They didn't use any special beak in oil. Just plain ole Motorcraft blend.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Ahbizmal

Default RE: Break in

Drive it like you stole it.

There are so many opinions... Do what you feel is best. But since you are asking... Change it anytime. Factory oil from any company should be the exact same that is on the oil filler cap.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Our cars come with synthetic already in them. General rule is change the oil at 1000 to remove any breakin metal from it. I think most Ford dealers us synthetic. I add tufoil with the oil change. Makes the engine run smoother.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

hear is the fact, dont drive it at the same speed for a long while.

otherwise no worries
Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

My Ford dealership doesn't even have Fullsynthetic. They have some blend, so I take it elsewhere.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: owero01

Our cars come with synthetic already in them. General rule is change the oil at 1000 to remove any breakin metal from it. I think most Ford dealers us synthetic. I add tufoil with the oil change. Makes the engine run smoother.

No, they came with the BLEND.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

I spent a fair bit of time talking with some reps from Mobil1.

I work at the head office of a chain of garages, so they are a supplier of ours and they told me straight up that synthetic oil is very similar to regular oil...

These reps told me they wont spend the extra for synthetic cause there isnt really a difference...its just a myth that the oil manufacturers have created to quadruple the price of the "synthetic" oil...

Now, im not saying its not better, it IS better...the manufacturers do spend more time on the synthetic, thus allowing the cars to go longer with the oil...HOWEVER, I to this day have believed and will continue believing that it is NOT worth the extra money...cuase its ALOT more money...

5W20 regular oil will be more than sufficient for our cars...just go 3000miles and then get it changed, done and done...

I know this is just my opinion, but when the Mobil1 reps are telling me that they dont even use it in their cars...i'm gonna stick to their point...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shooter23

I spent a fair bit of time talking with some reps from Mobil1.

I work at the head office of a chain of garages, so they are a supplier of ours and they told me straight up that synthetic oil is very similar to regular oil...

These reps told me they wont spend the extra for synthetic cause there isnt really a difference...its just a myth that the oil manufacturers have created to quadruple the price of the "synthetic" oil...

Now, im not saying its not better, it IS better...the manufacturers do spend more time on the synthetic, thus allowing the cars to go longer with the oil...HOWEVER, I to this day have believed and will continue believing that it is NOT worth the extra money...cuase its ALOT more money...

5W20 regular oil will be more than sufficient for our cars...just go 3000miles and then get it changed, done and done...

I know this is just my opinion, but when the Mobil1 reps are telling me that they dont even use it in their cars...i'm gonna stick to their point...

I think someone is pulling your leg. Do a comparison of dino oil vs syn and you will find out what the REAL differences are.