Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CRITICAL READ or ALL X-CALIBRATOR OWNERS

Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Slate

Default CRITICAL READ or ALL X-CALIBRATOR OWNERS

This is a Must Read for all people adding Custom Tunes. It comes from Doug at B A M A Chips.

Hey guys, and gals....

This issue has come up a few times and I feel I need to make a post about it to help. Please feel free to pass this along to ANY forum you may post on that may have a 05-up Mustang both GT and V6..

I've had a few customers that even when they returned their vehicles to stock and went to the dealer and the dealer reflashed or updated their calibrations. When they got home they reloaded the tune into their vehicle and it wouldn't start. Also, when they tried to return the vehicle to stock it wouldn't start.

Explaination....

When the dealer updated their computer it then changed the Calibration code inside the PCM. Unlike 04 and earlier models the X-calibrator didn't see this as a new vehicle and simply deleted the tune that the dealer installed and wrote the old program on the PCM. This old tune doesn't have the same settings and this causes the car not to start, to put it in simple terms.

Now for the bad part, being that it deleted the tune file that the dealer has installed it wont start. Returning the vehicle to stock doesn't work either because all you are doing is returning it to the factory program from the intial tune.

In other words, the dealer would have to reflash the new code into the PCM again.

Now, Prevention.....

The first thing you need to do when you get your X-calibrator in is to goto " Read DTC menu" and then scroll down to " Read Strategy" and read this information from your car. Then write this down somewhere secure, like inside the X-calibrator box.

Then, if you have to take your car in for service first check your strategy by doing the above after returning it to stock. Take it in for service and when you get the car back BEFORE uploading a tune Read the strategy again and compare it to the one you had before taking it in for service.

If they match then simply install the tunes and drive away happy.

If they do not match then DO NOT install the tuner but rather contact your SCT dealer and give them the new Strategy code and get some new tunes for your new code.

Every dealer CAN email these to you, not every dealer WILL email these to you.

On 05's I've not had any problems with this because the main codes for the 05's haven't truly been updated. This has truly began with the 06's.

Below are a few Strategy codes and the Calibration codes for which they stand for.....

Strategy = Calibration

06'S

FBNF1G3 = TJF1 = This code updates to= FBNF1GA = TSG0 ** Updated 2/7**

FBNE0G5 = GYX1

FBLF152 = VDX1 = This code updates to = FBLF1G2 = SRV0 **Updated 12/06*

FBLE0G3 = FTV1

07'S

FOAF054 = TZZ2

FPAF053 = TNJ2

FOAF0A4 = KHK2

FPAF0A3 = XZE2

Nothing has been updated for 07' yet....

The Above are all GT's, if the V6 owner's would like the same then please let me know as it applies to everyone..

Just let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any help. Like I said please pass this along to any forums you know, this information can help alot of people.

***1/22/07*** If your X-calibrator will not read your strategy on your 05-up Ford then your version of the operating system or Firmware on the device maybe too old. You can update the firmware by going to www.sctflash.com/downloads.php and downloading Liveupdate and the newest version of the firmware.

If you haven't updated your Liveload Version to the latest since January 5th then you'll need to do this or your files will now say " Invalid LiveLoad file" Goto the same link as noted above for this.

Thanks, Doug[/align]__________________
www.BamaChips.com
205-302-0231
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224x
The official tuner of Project Source Horse

The only thing we do is Custom tuning, no matter if its SCT or Diablo we can do it and do it well.
#1 rated custom Automatic tunes developed using our own Auto GT, a long strech of road and our dyno, not to mention our manual tunes that actually allow the throttle to close when you let off.

One of the Top 10 Dealers in SCT Sales in 2005 and 2006! Proof positive that true customer service is better then advertising. I want to thank everyone of my customers for truly making my dreams come true! Two years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of being this big and I know I wouldn't be where I am today without YOU!

Thank You!! Doug [/align][/align][/align]Had I not read this before I installed my custom tune, I would never have thought togo tothe DTC menu in order to check and write down the stock Calibration code for future use.[/align]
Old 05-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Slate

Default x

x
Old 05-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: CRITICAL READ or ALL E-CALIBRATOR OWNERS

read this some where before... but not as detailed... good looking out... just edit the title.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

So... what If I never checked this before the tune? I can still go out and check it right now? It would be the same thing correct?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Slate

If you haven't noticed a difference in your custom tune already - I would think that means the dealership has not reflashed your tune. So...... you should be able to attach your SCT and read the current strategy and calibration. At least that's the way I see it. Anyone else ??
Old 05-19-2007, 01:53 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

My friend that is a mechanic for Ford reminded me that when you set your tune back to stock to take the car in to the dealer it will lose any error codes you received. In other words if your check engine light comes on and then you reset your tune back to stock that error will be lost. I guess it will happen again anyway if there is something wrong so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Interesting info, this should be made sticky
Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CRITICAL READ or ALL X-CALIBRATOR OWNERS

Good info to know. It is a sticky over on TMS since September 21st, 2006