Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Confused and scared!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Obliv

Default Confused and scared!

First off, I own a 07 pony package. Lately ive been wanting a little more power, so ive been toying with the idea of trading it in.

So, I go to Ford and test drive a GT. It sounded great, the transmission was much smoother then my v6. However, it just wasnt as fast as I thought it would be. I guess I might of overhyped it, but I was throughly disapointed with its performance. My 6 felt almost as fast (It might be because the GT only had 10 miles on the motor, but I was still flogging it pretty hard. it was after all a test drive.).

So at this point, I left the dealership disapointed in the GT, but glad I got the 6. This is where it gets a little different.

I stop by the Nissan dealership on the way home and drove a new 350z. We also own a 300zx, so I figured I might as well give it a try. And it was a blast. The car seemed to be quicker then the GT, and handled much better. The feel of the car was much more driver oriented. So, im stuck with this dilemma of keeping m 6, or trading it in for a Z.

Has anyone else test drove both the GT and the Z, and felt the same? I honestly felt id never like a Z, and fall in the love with the GT, but honestly it was the other way around.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Confused and scared!

You are nuts if you think the GT doesnt have that much the power over the sixxer....I think, as been discussed many times before, the car is going faster than it feels. You might not think you are going fast but then you look at the speedo and 100 comes up quite fast!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Slayer28

Have to go with what you like best. However, you are never going to find the amount of performance mods for the Z as you will for the GT! Without putting too big of a dent in your wallet, you will be able to mod a GT that will blow the doors off the Z!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:19 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

i test drove the Z and the GT. the Z had ridiculous blind spots. i wasn't impressed with the Z to spend the $ that they wanted. Nissan has problems with their transmissions as well. if you bought the Z, make sure it isn't your daily driver cause it's a high maintenance car. the GT is much more zippy. the shifting is a lot better than the V6. i'd pick the GT over the Z.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Obliv

Trust me guys, again I dont quite believe how I felt after the drive either. I guess I just expected the power to be greater then it really was. Maybe it was because the engine wasnt broken in? How much would that really effect the speed though?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

05-07 GT> 07350Z >06 350Z > 03-04 350Z >05-07 v6Mustang

The 05+ Mustang GT is a coupletenths of a second faster, but if you drove the new 07 350Z, than you probably wouldnt have felt a difference between it and the GT. I think the new 350Z's can run 13.7 or so in the 1/4 mile, and the Mustang GT can run 13.4 and thats with both cars having excellent drivers. The bad thing about the 350Z is they are expensive to keep maintained, they require premium fuel from the get go, they are onlya 2 seater, they're already maxed out performance wise from the factory, meaning only F/I or nitrous is gonna help this car out. The GT is exhaust, intake, UDP's, and tune away from 12's if you can drive the hell out of it. I'd say get the GT, they're funner, cheap to make somewhat fast, and sound fantastic.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM
nautics889

Trade it get a GT!!!!!!! U just need to break it in and geta tune and you'll forget the resT!! lol
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Obliv

The GT did sound DEAD sexy. But I would be trading in my 6 for an 8, and the quote from ford said I lost 7-8k in equity in 8 MONTHS. I got a great deal on the 6, from 25.5k sticker to 20900 (without tax +lisc) and they offered only 16. So Id basically be adding 90hp and tq for how much more?

I might of liked the Z more because of how different it was from the stang, just a new feel. I still dont know what the hell happened lol. It is a more balanced car then the GT, it seems to handle corners much better and be overall more refined.

Im not much into mods atm, as I live in an apartment complex that doesnt even let you lift the hood without harassing you (sumbiatches) so maybe the balanced approach might be better for now.

Im not a brand loyal person, and buying the car that is most deserving definitley makes more sense. And about reliability, I was under the impression Nissan and the Z had a pretty good track record compared to the stang? Dont quote me on it, I have no proof or anything, but its what the general consensus is.

Im just wondering if im going crazy or if anyone else had this experience.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

The 05-07 GT's have a better 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 time than the 350Z.
The 350Z has a better road course and slalom time than the 05-07 GT's.
Basically the GT is better in a straight line and not meant for turning, and the 350Z is meant for turning and not going in a straight line.
You could get a used GT for $21-22,000 with mileage under 20,000 still, and for a used 350Z will be $17-18,000, but thats with over 50,000 miles, and the new ones, 06-07, are going for atleast $26,000.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Obliv

The 350z and the GT dont seem much different in speed, as someone put, but the Z seems a more balanced car. As I will be selling 2 cars if I decide to get a GT or Z, I can easily afford either one, as long as the Z isnt fully loaded (dont need that anyway)

It basically comes down to which one id enjoy more per day. The Z gets better gas milage, but its a wash since it requires premium. God this sucks! I wish the GT just blew it away in performance, but the complete opposite happened.

Can anyone confirm the reliability ratings for each car? I cant find much on either. Considering I will be keeping either stock for at least the duration of the warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused and scared!