Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ZEX Nitrous installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ZEX Nitrous installed

ORIGINAL: sccaii

Doesthe zex fuel solenoid hook into the stock fuel rail? If that is the case as I stated earlier if the PCM were raising and lowering the fuel delivery based on AF this would in turn affect this solenoids ability to deliver fuel thus the reason my souce suggested another source for fuel in a system not controlled by the stock PCU.

I don't even know if the above theory is even correct but to me it sounds completely logical.
The ZEX solaniod senses bottle pressure and fuel pressure. It has the ability to reduce either to keep the A/F in the safe range. It won't work at all below 38 PSI I beleive it was the booklet said.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

So.....say the PCM cuts fuel pressure from 50psi to 38psi.........that means the volume goes down and likely the AF changes. Your saying this unit can sense and control fuel but if its doing its job at 50psi and suddenly only has 38psi of flow how does it know what its supposed to do? The zex ultimately would having a moving target (assuming the ford PCM actually ramps fuel pressure up and down so much). by which to gauge its changes off of. Does this zex actually have some control over the voltage to the fuel pump? Is the new fuel system a returnless and vaccumless system....sorry I have never actually paid attention.

Not trying to be difficult trying to feel better about this as a power adder as I being a FI guy might want to try this on my car one day.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

I noticed you are from Atlanta. Did you know it's in the Georgia code that it's against the law to drive on the street with your NOS bottle hooked up? I didn't either but as I was researching the speeding code (don't ask), I found that little gem in there as well. Which is why I decided against NOS.

Just don't be conspicuous with your release valve!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
loiswah

ezio350, on a side note I noticed you have the 1" lowered rear springs. I'm looking at installing these too to "level" out the car. Does it level out well or does it actually put the rear down lower than the stock front? And did you need the adjustable panhard, LCAs or anything else?

Thanks, loiswah.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

I did know about the GA law. thank u for looking out. Loiswash, the springs leave the car perfectly level where the back doesnt look jacked up. Its prob. my best mod. The ride is perfect in every way.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sccaii

So.....say the PCM cuts fuel pressure from 50psi to 38psi.........that means the volume goes down and likely the AF changes. Your saying this unit can sense and control fuel but if its doing its job at 50psi and suddenly only has 38psi of flow how does it know what its supposed to do? The zex ultimately would having a moving target (assuming the ford PCM actually ramps fuel pressure up and down so much). by which to gauge its changes off of. Does this zex actually have some control over the voltage to the fuel pump? Is the new fuel system a returnless and vaccumless system....sorry I have never actually paid attention.

Not trying to be difficult trying to feel better about this as a power adder as I being a FI guy might want to try this on my car one day.
They way that I understand it, the system needs a minimum of 38 psi to work FULLY and properly. So, if your fuel pressure is up higher than 38 psi, which it might be slightly higher, and maybe it flucuates from 44-38 psi (i dont't know), it is always above the minimum to work at full capacity. So you would never have any surging or loss of power.

If you bump up higher than the 125 shot, it is suggested to get a boost a pump or some other addition to the fuel system to make sure the pressure does not get to low. In theory, the solanoid would sense the low fuel pressure and either cut off the N2O supply or reduce it to match the fuel pressure. It does the same thing with the bottle, it will meter the amount of fuel added. When I ran on the dyno with a 1/2 empty cold bottle, I could see very small little surges in the curve. This is due to a cold bottle with low pressure. Now with a bottle heater, you will continually have the same pressure coming from your bottle on every run. Unless the bottle is empty. I didn't really realize the importance of a heater until the dyno run and using a half empty cold bottle. Warmers are super easy to install and fairly cheap, $40 to 110. I got the ZEX brand as it had an auatomatic thermostat to heat the bottle to 93 degrees. Which somewhere around 1000 psi for your bottle.

The best heaters run off bottle pressure and not temperature. These are fairly more expensive. Since I will be buying an S/C soon (I'm so close it scares my wife) I will not invest anymore in the N2O. But I will burn through more bottles for sure.[sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif]