Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05-07 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 AM
stangfour6

Default 05-07 intake manifold

does anyone have any information about the new intake manifold that is slowly getting on the market?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 05-07 intake manifold

Have not heard of it yet??[sm=interesting.gif]
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

FAST has been promising it for over a year now.....first design had flaws I guess so there is nothing in the near future that I know of.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangfour6

does anyone have any information about the new intake manifold that is slowly getting on the market?

Hi,

Do you mean the one that FAST had shown last year at SEMA and PRIthey claimed would add 40bhp? They got laughed out of the marketplace when it was revealed that the marketing people invented the40bhp numberbasedon the potential power the manifold could produce over a stock manifoldbased on the theoretical increase in airflow the new manifold was predicted to produce using a computer generated model. Go back and read my old posts on the FAST manifold power predictions, I was just about right. That thing was pure vapor just like the powernumbers it produced. For theprojected $800 (I had no price guess but others had projected this number based on the FAST manifold for the Corvette which DOES work), for maybe 10-12RWHP TOPSit will never be produced and sold in any kind of quantity to make the numbers work out.

Cheers!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
stangfour6

ok, thanks for the input. to my understanding C&L are coming out with one too. if somebody gets the manifold right i think itll be a great mod.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I havent heard of one at all. Where are you guys hearing about this?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ok, thanks for the input. to my understanding C&L are coming out with one too. if somebody gets the manifold right i think itll be a great mod.
But that's the thing......someone did get it right......Ford. Ford finally created an engine with optimal cam grinds and optimal intake flow. No one is going to bring anything to the market because there is nothing to improve on. This is strange new territory for us Ford enthusiasts because all the mods we're used to addingjust don't apply to the 3V.

Hell, thesupercharged guys have yet to hit a limit of the intake manifold.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
stangfour6

i stumbled across it while i was looking for new performance parts. im sure if you use a search engine youll be able to find it.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

But that's the thing......someone did get it right......Ford. Ford finally created an engine with optimal cam grinds and optimal intake flow. No one is going to bring anything to the market because there is nothing to improve on. This is strange new territory for us Ford enthusiasts because all the mods we're used to addingjust don't apply to the 3V.

Hell, thesupercharged guys have yet to hit a limit of the intake manifold.
That's a good point. It seems they matched the profile of the cams with the intake manifold perfectly. Is it Justin Berchum who is running an 800 hp F/I motor with the stock cams and intake? Someone said this the other day.

Since the 60's it has been stanard practice to replace the intake and cams on motors to creat more power. In the days of computer engineering, it seems the OEM folks come closer to perfection on items such as these.

I guess if I was going to buy a new intake manifold, I would probably add a Saleen blower to it. Then it would be worth it.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:10 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1
That's a good point. It seems they matched the profile of the cams with the intake manifold perfectly. Is it Justin Berchum who is running an 800 hp F/I motor with the stock cams and intake? Someone said this the other day.

Since the 60's it has been stanard practice to replace the intake and cams on motors to creat more power. In the days of computer engineering, it seems the OEM folks come closer to perfection on items such as these.

I guess if I was going to buy a new intake manifold, I would probably add a Saleen blower to it. Then it would be worth it.

The O.E. Ford intake is not perfect and has limitations that are more apparent on an N/A/ motor than on a blower motor due to the nature of forced induction. The real reason that the stock manifold has not been an issue is that it's very well matched to the flow characteristics of the stock heads and camswhich are not too far from optimum from a system point of view. I say this based on theresults that people with litterally EVERYintake bolt-on are getting and then having their heads P&P'd and then dyno tuning and testing with 10-15RWHP being the best anyone has seen after spending close to $3,000 for the work. But these are street engines and do not turn the kind of RPM that is taxing the stock intake manifolds. If youcould increaseengine speedsafely past 6,800RPM to say 8,000RPM the stock manifolds will become a problem on an N/A motoras you should be able tocrack about425bhp or so at that air volume. But to turn the enginethis fastyouwill need to designmuch lightercam followers,fab solid lash adjusters that are stable at these cycle speeds,fab much more stable springs, lighter retainers and locks andinstall stronger valves. And then you have to develop some moreagressive cam profiles with longer overlapand make them work within the limits of VVT to get the most out of them. My understanding is that the stock bottom end is safe to 8,000RPM in aN/A race application but obviously building the bottom end and lightening the rotating assembly will make the motor more reliable.Breaking this power levelis going to be veryunlikely on a N/A street engine even with hot cams so the stock manifold will remain at the very least adequate for almost any N/A/ or supercharged street application on a stock displacement combination.

Cheers!