Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is it my Imagination? Octane

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default Is it my Imagination? Octane

Before everyone comes back about tunes, Let me say I am going to get one once I decide on the Intake I want! But for the last couple of fill ups I have been using Sunoco UTLRA 94, and not only has it cured the ping on hard accel, the car seems like it already has a tune, It pulls much harder and faster, beleive me!! I asked the tech at Ford and he says the computer will see the high octane and adjust the fuel/air/timing accordingly and yes I would have better mileage and more power! He also says Ford recommends 87 octane to show lower average fuel costs but the car should be ran on High Octane!!
What do ya all think??[sm=interesting.gif]
Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it my Imagination? Octane

He absolutly correct. When you start your car the first time you accelerate hard the car senses when it starts to ping. So itll back timing off to try to prevent it from happening. When you run premium, the computer senses that it can advance the timing a lot further, which in turn gives you more power. Not to mention with the summer on, and the intake charge being warmer, premium fuel will help prevent pre-ignition which can cause pinging.
-P.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have stated the same thing many times...even though the cars come with a factory 87 tune i get better MPG and performance with higher octane....most will tell you otherwise though.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Hmm...I guess I never noticed this, I've always ran 93Octane in mine.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I have tried this in other cars before but have never seen an improvement. I'll have to give it a shot with my 06, I just filled with 87 so maybe next fill I'll try it if prices really do start t ease up a bit. Dont know if there is a big difference but we only get 92 octane here.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
jimSD63
1st Gear Member

One of the techs at SCT stated that they saw apower improvement on their dyno on the new mustang with premium fuel. I think there is more and more belief that premium is indeed not a waste of money.
J
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
zangx1

try 5 gal of aviation fuel mixed in with 92 oct it will not hurt your car and costs 5.50 per rated 105 octane you will think the bottle is always ON!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I have stated the same thing many times...even though the cars come with a factory 87 tune i get better MPG and performance with higher octane....most will tell you otherwise though.
Same here, I get seriously 60-70 more per tank with premium than with regular. Found out how crappy the MPG was with regular when I loaned my bro the car and he filled it with 87 [:@]. As soon as I ran it down halfway, I filled the rest up with 110 leaded racing gas.
-P.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have always used 93 even in my V6. Totally better performance.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Well I have to disagree with most of you, Octane is a measure of knocking or detonation resistance, by definition it has nothing to do with performance, The 4.6 has knocking sensors under the intake manifold, one on each bank, if knocking is detected, you’ll get a code, the check engine light will be on, and the ECC will activate a failsafe program retarding the spark until the condition is corrected to avoid damage to the engine but there is no such thing as a octane sensor in the 4.6, either the engine knocks or not.
It is true tho that different brand of gas contain different components in different proportions like detergents etc, but you will never be able to tell.
Everything is in your mind, for example my car runs faster and smother after I wash and wax it, when it is dirty it runs like crap. J

Quick Reply: Is it my Imagination? Octane