Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Full exhaust too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Full exhaust too loud?

When I first installed my LT Stainless works off road, no cats, in combination with the corsas axle back the car became I mean ridiculously loud, enough to activate the alarms of any other cars parked within a 60ft radius. Then I replaced the corsas with the stock mufflers and things improved abitbut still way too loud for my taste, so I am waiting for the rest of the stainless works exhaust system including high flow cats,. 3” all the way to the end.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baha

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: baha

I'm planning a kooks LTs with O/R X pipe but don't know which Axle-Back brand is the quitest when added to the LTs.

I don't wanna be a cop magnet.

Any help guys will be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi baha,

I don't know how loud is too loud for you but if you actually have to drive the car on a daily basis LOUDgets real old really fast. One of the best sounding exhausts I've heard on out cars was a set of full length long tubes with a custom made stainless steel H-pipe with high-flow "race" cats that look just likebullet racing "mufflers" (which are usually hung on the end of the header collector)and the stock Ford rear mufflers with4" double wall tips welded on. That car wasLOUD but still sweet sounding whenfloored and reved up but had a surprisinglymodest sound levelwhen crusing around on the street.All of the cars with long tube headers and off-road H or X-pipes were IMO reallytoo loud and not good sounding no matter what mufflers they had on. These cars sound obnoxious all the time an usually have horrible resonances from the X-pipe.But I can tell youthe stock rear muflers sound great with traditional long tube primariesand an H-pipe with high-flow cats or resonators in line right after thecollectors asseen inJBA's setup. That system is incredible sounding and I almost bought it just for the sound!

Um, Kook's are not really "long tubes" per-se but mid-length primaries. Given the small displacement of the engine a smaller tube diameterwitha shorter primarytube length should work better for the upper RPMrange the 4.6l 3-valve motorslike to run in rather thanthe traditional"full length' long tube headerson the market. Kook's mid-length headers and matching catted X-pipe would be my firstchoice in a"long tube" header right after JBA's LT's and catted H-pipe setup. The reason I prefer the JBA system is forthe slip-fit collector to catted H-pipe fitting which makes for a completely "above the frame rails" installation which is even tighter than stock and because I hate the old school header flangeconnectors Kook's uses whichtend toleak. I think the Kook's "system" out-performs just about anyother header system on the market with cats on a N/A stock displacement 3-valve.

Trust me when I tell you that you WANT the kook's catted X-pipe! Without the cats your car will not sound and perform as well as the system WITH cats. The only reason to go with an O/H pipe setup is if you arerunning a blower on your engine. The absolute quietest mufflers for the S197GT are MagnaFlow's full sized mufflers. I had a pair and they were way too quiet even after they were broken-in!

Oh, and don't forget to installfirmer engine mounts! This is good for longevity of your headers and power delivery to the drive train. I like both the Steeda and Prothane designs but prefer the Steeda design for it's unique ability to tune the engine mount firmness bychoosing the urethane pucks used in the mountsif you are using the car as a daily driver.

Cheers!
I will go Kooks w/catted X pipe + Magnaflows. I actually heard them on this link (but w/o cats) and I loved it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_51BaVEYlQ

Thank you all guys for the tips, really appreciate it.

Hi baha,

The exhaust system in the videois a MagnaPack cat back system, NOT the regular MagnaFlow axle backs. They are VERY different animals! The MagnaPacksare not the same as MagnaFlow's regular largerectangular mufflers, they are a straight through racing style resonator much like the Borla or Corsa "stinger" style silencers. These silencers tend to belouder as the exhaustgassesabsolutely do not have to pass through any packingmaterials like the other so called straight through rectangular mufflers.I had a set of MagnaPackson my car withJBA shortys, MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe with high-flow OBDII compliant cats and the combinationwas just too loud and magnified the 2,500RPM resonance of the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe system. My wife hated them and said to take them off NOW!So wanting to stay married I took them off after about a week of driving on them andgetting the car to a local dyno shop for a quick dyno testing session (heh-hee)! All I could say was WOW! The MagnaPacks on my car as I've listed them made 17RWHP (SAE correction method), onthe DynoJet dyno compared to the stock Ford catted down pipe and stock rear mufflers on my car. I tested the stock system back to back on the dyno and we were all surprised at the results but even the dyno operator said the MagnaPacks with the high-flow cats were a ticket waiting to happen. At that time all my car had in terms of bolt-ons was the old original Steeda 80mm MAF housingCAI kit and aDiablo Predator withSteeda specific firmware running the canned 93 octane tune and the JBA shorty headers installed. I had to take off the whole system to test thegains of the complete MagnaFlowMagnaPack cat back system and later I re-installed the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe with OBDII cats and stock mufflers. If you are close by I have the MagnaPacks all cleaned up and packed-up sitting out in my garage waiting to be shipped to some lucky buyer butI neveradvertised or put them on eBay so they never go sold. Since then I'm getting ready to add an additionon to my house and I need to clean out EVERYTHING from the garage and the two rooms I use an an office so I gotta sell some stuff off. Any interest? I'd sell them for $400 delivered or $300 if you pick them up.Where are you located? I'm in the L.A. area if anyone is interested in them. The MagnaPack cat backs are $550-$575 on-line plus shipping so this is an aggressive price. P.M. me if you hav any interest!

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

F1Fan, thank you for this great feedback and hope you find a buyer for your MagnaPacks as I'm going with the regular ones 'cause Iwant to stay married too!!