Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.55's, and a drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.55's, and a drive shaft

I did a WOT run 5 miles after driving my car off the lot! Not only that, but it was through the first 3 gears LOL! I couldn't help myself, i have no self control. I don't think breaking in gears and breaking in an engine have much in common.

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Well although the owners manual does not say anything specifically about the gears break in it does tell you to take it easy on the car for it's break in procedure and this is one of the reasons why. You can take the info i give or not, but just about every gear manufacture out has this break in procedure. So I am sure they know what they are doing since they make the gears. Go check their websites.

Richard
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Do as you wish after all it is your car. I have seen plenty of gear sets come apart do to improper or no break in. Just trying to pass along some info I have learned over the years of modding vehicles.

As for letting the gears cool down after the first 20 miles it is really very simply pull over grab some lunch or dinner depending on when you pick your car up and they cool while you eat for an hour.

Richard
Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Well I'm not sure how i'm going to drive 15-20 miles and then let it cool down completely. I have a 50 mile drive to get back home. Luckily none of those miles are on an interstate so i can take it easy. Maybe the installer will break it in on the dyno.
Moosestang I tried to PM you but your email is hidden. Tell meis the Denny driveshaft a good investment? Will it really bring me the power of 8 to 10 horsepower?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: drbobvs
I'm seriously considering a driveshaft, but the price on these is about $500, which is pretty expensive for a driveshaft. Also, I keep reading about vibration problems, especially with the automatic. It seems that Spyder has had good luck with automatics (http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/drive.php). I'm still hoping that technology will give us a solution like a lighter two piece shaft...

Anyway, don't forget you'll need adjustable lower control arms or an adjustable upper control arm to correct pinion angle after the driveshaft.
Why adjustable control arms for a drive shaft? Thos are now in my plans anyways with some other threads Ive been in just wondering why a drive shaft chanft would change the pinion angle?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You will feel a difference with a light weight driveshaft. I'd go with a spyder shaft or coastal because they are aluminum and actually cheaper than the Denny's now. Aluminum will dampen vibrations better than steel from what i've read. My car has a vibration with the stock driveshaft at 3200rpms. It has the same vibration with the denny's at the same engine speed only it's more noticeable. Not sure where this vibration is coming from, but I swapped my stock driveshaft back in to make sure it wasn't the denny's. The car immediately felt twice as heavy, but the stock driveshaft is whisper quite compared to the denny's.

I've heard nothing, but good things about the the spyder driveshafts.I like that it changes the pinion flange instead of using an adapter plate, that's one less thing to fail. Some people are having problems at high speeds with the denny's driveshaft. Mine is smooth up to 120 though.

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Well I'm not sure how i'm going to drive 15-20 miles and then let it cool down completely. I have a 50 mile drive to get back home. Luckily none of those miles are on an interstate so i can take it easy. Maybe the installer will break it in on the dyno.
Moosestang I tried to PM you but your email is hidden. Tell meis the Denny driveshaft a good investment? Will it really bring me the power of 8 to 10 horsepower?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Moose you get your gears yet?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

http://www.ponyupgrade.com/product/S197ALDS
Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I have a coast driveshaft, also installed the same time the gears were. It is very smooth. As like Moose stated, it makes the car feel lighter and that your foot is connected directly to the rear axle. I haven't hade a chance to Dyno it after just the driveshaft so I can't say exactly how much, if any HP it added. I do know that for every1 pound of rotating mass (tires, driveshast, axles etc) you save an equivelant4 pounds of chassis weight. I also know that for each 100 pounds you shed you gain an equiv to 10HP and 1/10th on a 1/4 mile. So hypothetically even if the driveshaftwas 2 pieces (mine isn't) but only weights 23 pounds I saved 23 pounds over stock (23 x 4 = 92 lbs) net gain of 9.2 HP I should have gained from driveshaft by itself.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that's the one. I've seen several post from people using it on these forums. You can get the spyder shaft for about $100 less, but it does require changing the pinion flange which may or may not be more difficult. It's actually probably easier because you don't have to torque 6 screws for the adapter, only one big nut for the pinion shaft.

My gears have been here for days, going in this Thursday at 10am!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Moose what size gears are those? second make sure they don't have a -M on the serial number anywhere.

Quick Reply: 3.55's, and a drive shaft