Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New GT, Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New GT, Manual or Automatic

You gotta get a manual trans.

Most of the people on here who say auto couldn't drive a manual transmission if their life depended on it...or were just too lazy to learn. Only 2-3 people on this site 1) know how to drive a manual (well) and 2) would recommend an auto. EVERYONE else that drives manual will tell you to get a manual, and most people that drive an auto that know how to drive manual will tell you to get a manual trans too. Keep this is mind, too: people that drive manual can obviously drive an automatic, but not everyone that drives an automatic can drive a manual.

Remember: you want people's opinions who can and have driven both the manual and the auto. Everyone else is biased.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:14 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

I own both cars with similar performance (in theory). My GT his an auto and the GT500 is manual of course. I'm kind of learning the art of shifting on the 500 so I can't really put it down performance wise. It's great and there is a fun factor when driving this car.It cannot get close to my GT with blower, 4:30 and TC. I had a very good driver in my 500 go against me in my GT andit wasn't even close. In my case the GT auto reacted really good to the mods and tune.

I'm somewhat tempted to get the same setup on the GT500. If I could get a transmission swap, 2.8L KB and 4:30s, this thing would be amazing!

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

So, I have had my V6 05 stang for 2 yrs now, and im finally upgrading. Insurance was insane at 16 with a GT but my driving record is near perfect(Ive had close calls) so they are only charging $20 more. So I jumped on the chance and I am in the process of getting a GT. Although im not sure what transmission to get, I live in FL and I heard a 5 speed will be the demise of me as your constantly in traffic, yet I plan on modding this GT/going to the track and what not. Are there any real differences besides driver response? I want a 5 speed but my parents who are helping me ( im paying majority) think auto is the way to go. Any opinions on topoc would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate help,
rob
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Please dont change your gt500 to an auto; faster or not...its just WRONG!

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

I own both cars with similar performance (in theory). My GT his an auto and the GT500 is manual of course. I'm kind of learning the art of shifting on the 500 so I can't really put it down performance wise. It's great and there is a fun factor when driving this car.It cannot get close to my GT with blower, 4:30 and TC. I had a very good driver in my 500 go against me in my GT andit wasn't even close. In my case the GT auto reacted really good to the mods and tune.

I'm somewhat tempted to get the same setup on the GT500. If I could get a transmission swap, 2.8L KB and 4:30s, this thing would be amazing!

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

So, I have had my V6 05 stang for 2 yrs now, and im finally upgrading. Insurance was insane at 16 with a GT but my driving record is near perfect(Ive had close calls) so they are only charging $20 more. So I jumped on the chance and I am in the process of getting a GT. Although im not sure what transmission to get, I live in FL and I heard a 5 speed will be the demise of me as your constantly in traffic, yet I plan on modding this GT/going to the track and what not. Are there any real differences besides driver response? I want a 5 speed but my parents who are helping me ( im paying majority) think auto is the way to go. Any opinions on topoc would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate help,
rob
Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Everytime you throttle up the car and here the exhaust rumble as you roll away in 1st, you'll be glad you got a stick...
Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Vic gtcs

Everybody has a preference when it comes to this subject. If your going to drive alot get the Auto, if you want to burn the tires off the rims get the manual. I personally have the auto and anyone that says autos aren't fun are seriously deprived. Either way its a mustang so its like the road is always wet. Even my auto breaks loose in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.