Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New GT, Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

Default New GT, Manual or Automatic

So, I have had my V6 05 stang for 2 yrs now, and im finally upgrading. Insurance was insane at 16 with a GT but my driving record is near perfect(Ive had close calls) so they are only charging $20 more. So I jumped on the chance and I am in the process of getting a GT. Although im not sure what transmission to get, I live in FL and I heard a 5 speed will be the demise of me as your constantly in traffic, yet I plan on modding this GT/going to the track and what not. Are there any real differences besides driver response? I want a 5 speed but my parents who are helping me ( im paying majority) think auto is the way to go. Any opinions on topoc would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate help,
rob
Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New GT, Manual or Automatic

MANUAL.

Although I have absolutely no problem with autos, it seems like whenever someone asks you if its a manual or auto, and you say manual, they're like, NICE! About the Florida traffic, it shouldnt be too bad, the stock clutch is quite soft, so dont invest in a hard clutch and you should be fine. It might be tough on you for a week or two, but after that its so worth it. Also, chicks dig a manual, and if you are good with it, you can beat an auto. If you're modding it and taking it to the track, GET THE MANUAL. (also better gas mileage I think?)
Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

get what you want...both will do very well at the track. Now let the bashing begin amongst you all!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

automatics will give you consistent times at the track. The automatic transmissions in these cars areperfect with the right tune.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

You live in Florida and it seems pretty flat down there so you won't have too many issues with hills. Just creep along in 1st when you're in traffic just like the truckers do!

GET THE STICK!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:48 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

They are both 5 speeds. It's just a matter of personal preference. They both have their advantages. Get whichever one YOU want.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BrazoriaStang

They are both 5 speeds. It's just a matter of personal preference. They both have their advantages. Get whichever one YOU want.

I went from an auto to a stick.

Depends on your person preference.

For me, the fun factor increased 10 fold.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

I'm a fellow florida guy. My 5spd is a lot of fun but I don't have to travel to work during rush hour and deal with that crap. I have nothing against autos since the new 5spd auto has similar gearing to the 5spd manual. Where in florida are you? If you're down by me in South Florida and do the Broward to Dade commute, a stick might not be what you want. If you have some serious patience though, you'll be fine. This clutch isnt like the sn95 and new edge clutch where the return spring launches your foot back at you. I'd say test drive a couple and see what you think.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:33 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

I live near the Orlando area, traffic is only a problem in rush hour, but im leaning more towards the manual transmission 1. it seems fun 2. response time 3. I dont see having a sports car w/o one. My V6 now is auto, I mean ya its nice but I still want a V8 under my hood
Old 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

This clutch isn't bad at all in traffic.

Quick Reply: New GT, Manual or Automatic