Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tune then intake down the road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:43 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tune then intake down the road?

I honestly didn't notice much at all with the JLT + Tune as opposed to the stock airbox performance tune built-in to the predator... I think its way more the tune than the actual intake...

Also, all 3 tunes for the JLT quieted the car down significantly, not good in my book, as opposed to the horrendously loud stock airbox tune. I have SLP loudmouths and cannot believe how quiet they are now... Something in the JLT tunes is making the engine much quieter...

Anyways, yeah. Its all about the tune imo.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I honestly didn't notice much at all with the JLT + Tune as opposed to the stock airbox performance tune built-in to the predator... I think its way more the tune than the actual intake...

Also, all 3 tunes for the JLT quieted the car down significantly, not good in my book, as opposed to the horrendously loud stock airbox tune. I have SLP loudmouths and cannot believe how quiet they are now... Something in the JLT tunes is making the engine much quieter...

Anyways, yeah. Its all about the tune imo.
Did you have it tuned for your car's computer through Brenspeed or B ama? My JLT DEFINITELY makes a huge difference in performance and it's a lot louder now, especially at WOT.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Weird...

Yes, I got a b@m@ tune. I also tried the predator's built in JLT tune. Both were very quiet... Its really weird because I would think a CAI would make it louder.

Someone mentioned that the stock airbox predator 87 tune may have been so loud and wonderful because it may have been programmed to run too rich, and now the JLT tunes are leaner, or perhaps 'correct' is the better word. And maybe not running rich means running much quieter....

Either way I miss the loudness!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

hmmm...I have read a post or 2 about the car quieting down after a tune. Maybe it's something about the Predator tuner? Mine is an SCT XCAL2.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing, and have no regrets (other then the $30 I lost on not getting a package deal). The tune by itself makes a much bigger difference in the overall drivability of the car then the CAI does. The CAI just adds more power. Get the tune, enjoy it while you save for a CAI, and when you get used to the tune throw the CAI on for even more fun!

Tim