Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Power Flow vs. Loud Mouth

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Power Flow vs. Loud Mouth

I havent ever heard either in person except on older model mustangs. I was wondering which one is louder or which one has a better tone of the two between the SLP power flow or the SLP loudmouths...

I want to get a new axle back kit. Right now I have magnaflow and those are pretty quiet...
Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
IcemanBlackGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Power Flow vs. Loud Mouth

loud mouths are def louder bc they don't have a muffler it's streight pipes
Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I haven't heard the power flows yet butthey look almost identical to the Borla Stingers so i'd be willing to bet they sound almost the same. The Loudmouths will be much louder. Since you have headers and an X-pipe I would suggest staying away from the loudmouths, it would be downright obnoctious how loud your car would be without mufflers.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

what about with Powerflo? I still want to have a real authoritative tone to the car. Comparing quality, would the powerflo by SLP be just as good as the magnaflow mufflers I have now?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I have the powerflos and they are pretty loud. I haven't heard the Loudmouth in person, but I'm assuming it's even louder which would be too much for my taste. Firing up the car in the garage vibrates everything in the house as it is, lol. The mufflers on the powerflos are straight through... I'm happy with mine. I've got the 4" tip version and the quality of the tips and the mufflers is very good.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Mudflap, do you have any sound clips of the powerflo? I cant seem to find any on any websites... I can only find Loudmouths but not the powerflo's...
Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, let's hear some clips of the PowerFlo's. I've considered switching out my GTAs to those. I love my GTAs, but they could be a tad louder. I don't want the LoudMouths though.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hmm, no clips, so I'd have to figure out a way to record them as I don't have a video camera. For now I will elaborate a little though... They are loud at first start-up of course, during idle I'd say they are average with a low gurgly tone. You always know they are there. Under normal acceleration they are prevalent but not so loud as to not be able to have a conversation. At WOT they really scream with a nice deep muscle car tone. I always find myself scanning the road for any signs of cops that might have heard it afterwards, lol. They have little to no drone most of the time. Highway cruising is fairly quiet with only a subtle growl in the background. This is just how I like my exhaust: loud when you want it, but more tame when you don't. There are certain RPMs when travelling uphill that my auto will produce a bit of drone, but it's very tolerable and can be corrected by letting off the gas or stepping on it. I'd imagine a manual would have no problem at all. SLP does sell some straight pipes you can use in place of the mufflers, so theoretically you could swap them out pretty easily. They come in 3 pieces, 1 to attach to the midpipe, the muffler, and then the tip. The mufflers are cylindrical in shape and long... The overall quality of the components was impressive. Again the mufflers are straight through when you look down them...

If I had one compaint it would be that lining them up was tough. I ended up using some of the alternate holes in the muffler hangers than the one that is *supposed* to be used. This wasn't an issue as the hangers are more than long enough and once everything is bolted into place, they aren't going anywhere. I eventually got them to be even on both sides with a little patience and creativity. The tips are slanted a bit inward which I don't particularly like, but its probably not really noticable to anyone but me. The alignment thing will vary from car to car and from muffler set to muffler set, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know a muffler shop could get mine to sit just as I want them within a matter of minutes, but screw it.