MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Request for comments on plan for mods (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/297232-request-for-comments-on-plan-for-mods.html)

johnpagenola 05-30-2007 07:16 PM

Request for comments on plan for mods

I have a black 2006 Mustang GT convertible with a Shaker 500. This is my second Mustang; I sold my 92 GT convertible to get this one after 115k. I drive around New Orleans, on the highway to and from Houston, and in the mountains of North Carolina. I am not a racer and I keep my cars for at least 10 years. Below are my plans for mods and not-mods I was planning to do over the next couple of years as I have money available. I would appreciate any comments, criticisms, or suggestions on my plans and who you would suggest to do the work either around Houston or around New Orleans.

Thanks.

Mod[/i] Reason for Mod[/i] Should do together or separate[/i] Spohn LCA Wheelhop Separate 4.10 gears Acceleration Together: Must update computer for all of these CAI 20 HP Tune Throttle lag Lose the spoiler Don’t like the look; came with car Separate MGW shifter Shorter, crisper shifts Separate Spohn rear sway bar Understeer Separate One-piece driveshaft 20 HP Together: Must set pinion angle for new driveshaft; something must be adjustable Spohn adjustable UCA Wheelhop Long-tube headers 20 HP Separate Staggered 18” wheels 255 front, 285 back for grip 14” brakes won’t fit on 17” wheels 14” brakes Less brake fade in mountains Replace 4 speakers with 6x9s Better sound Separate Replace head unit with DVD Navigation; better sound Separate Don’t Mod[/i] Reason to Not Mod[/i] [/i] Lowering springs Roads too bad in New Orleans; water on roads [/i] Aftermarket mufflers Like stock sound; bad experience with drone in 92 GT [/i] Under-drive pulleys Too hot in South; AC stress Additional frame bracing Adds weight; not necessary at this power level Supercharger, turbo, etc. Adds weight in front; under 13 sec ¼ mile is enough

Daniel60 05-30-2007 07:28 PM

RE: Request for comments on plan for mods

I live in South Carolina and the Steedas have done no harm on myAir Conditioning issues. They just gave me more pick up and it is worth it. CAI with tune is a must. www.brenspeed.com will help you there. I have drove a long time with the standard shift and now I'm used to it so I'm not forking out the 300 dollars there. I too am now wanting the driveshaft and I heard it's more like nine horsepower to the wheels and depending on what brand it is quieter except Denny's. This is strictly what I read here yesterday. I'm not spending 2000 dollars on long tube headers. I just don't see that feasible myself. 4:10 gears are great as long as you don't drive on long commutes at over 100 miles per hour. Supercharger I wish.:D

johnpagenola 05-30-2007 07:30 PM

Sorry, the formatting got screwed up. My plans are:

Mod Reason for Mod
Spohn LCA Wheelhop
4.10 gears Acceleration
CAI 20 HP
Tune Throttle lag
Lose the spoiler Don’t like the look; came with car
MGW shifter Shorter, crisper shifts
Spohn rear sway bar Understeer
One-piece driveshaft 20 HP
Spohn adjustable UCA Wheelhop
Long-tube headers 20 HP
Staggered 18” wheels 255 front, 285 back for grip
14” brakes Less brake fade in mountains
Replace 4 speakers with 6x9s Better sound
Replace head unit with DVD Navigation; better sound

Don’t Mod Reason to Not Mod
Lowering springs Roads too bad in New Orleans
Aftermarket mufflers Like stock sound
Under-drive pulleys Too hot in South; AC stress
Additional frame bracing Adds weight; not necessary
Supercharger, turbo, etc. Adds weight in front; 12s is enough

Daniel60 05-30-2007 07:36 PM

Looks like you have it figured out Sir. Now kick some ass!:D

Dex 05-30-2007 07:37 PM

rear mounted turbo goes in the back. either way, you figure 20lbs and the hit youre taking on the 20 lbs could add 150rwhp. doesnt make sense to me