Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this a good Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Casey39er

Default RE: Is this a good Torque Converter?

I have just recently gone through the torque converter change out drill. I started by ordering a Precision Industries multi disk W/3000 Stall. I contacted them with my car's specs and they said they would build one for me. I received it and had it installed.

During the initial road test and Dyno testing we found that it would not hold lock-up in third and forth gear when making power even when forcing it into lock-up with the computer.

The shop techs and the techs from PI went back and forth and could not figure it out. PI had me ship the TC back to them at their expense and they would cut it open and inspect it. They said they found nothing wrong with it but offered me my money back in full plus shipping. They are a reputable company and do not want a dissatisfied customer. +1 for that..

I did not want to just put the stock converter back in, so my shop had a local High Performance TC/ Trans shop rebuild my stock TC with stronger internals, anti-ballooning plate,stronger output couplings,and a higher stall. I have been driving it a couple of days now and getting use to the driveability with the higher stall. It pulls hard through all gears stays in lock-up. I have not had a chance to get to the track yet.

Also just for your information. Filling and checking the trans fluid on the 5R55S is a SOB so I ordered the Performance Automatic deep trans pan with dipstick and I had an over sized trans cooler installed out in front of my intercooler heat exchanger to get max air flow. The stock trans cooler is almost paper thin and sandwiched in between the air conditioner condenser and the radiator. Remember HEAT KILLS Automatic Transmissions..

I guess it all worked out. luckily I have a great group of guys at my local performance shop that saw me through the whole ordeal. They stored my car with no problems and got it into the schedule when the parts became available. It is important to have a good shop that will back you up when things don't go as planned.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is this a good Torque Converter?

Thanks for the opinions !!

Any1 else that knows about this?