Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

damn dealer markups!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default damn dealer markups!

My son and I stopped by a local dealer last night to check out their current inventory. I noticed a Shelby GT500 in the showroom and had to have a better look. It's a beautiful car, but I was disgusted at the $20K over MSRP, it just makes me sick. I already knew that there was a hugh markup on these things, but it still pisses me off. It's bad enough to spend $45K on a car, but then they slap an extra 20 grand just because they can. Just venting. On a higher note, I cherped 2nd and 3rd on the way home.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: damn dealer markups!

we all feel your pain!

us blue collar slobs, just can't pony up the
dough for these cool cars....we'll just have to
enjoy our crappy little 281's until we win the lotto....

ORIGINAL: mdg

My son and I stopped by a local dealer last night to check out their current inventory. I noticed a Shelby GT500 in the showroom and had to have a better look. It's a beautiful car, but I was disgusted at the $20K over MSRP, it just makes me sick. I already knew that there was a hugh markup on these things, but it still pisses me off. It's bad enough to spend $45K on a car, but then they slap an extra 20 grand just because they can. Just venting. On a higher note, I cherped 2nd and 3rd on the way home.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

what is sad is there are those out there which will pay the extra $20k. Talk about a crime.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've bought cars in the past where they attempted to charge a "market adjustment". I've always just said at the right moment "I'll buy that car right now for MSRP, but I'm not paying that market adjustment." I've never had them not take the offer, but who knows with the GT500. Theres one thing for sure, I like the Mustangs and all, but I'd buy a Z06 for that money.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Maddog52
1st Gear Member

They just mark it up that high to see if some fool will walk in and buy it. Apparently some do..

If they dealer turns down 50k for it, another I bet would love to sell it to you.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

I have a buddy that I used to work with that now works for the local Ford dealer. I stopped in two days ago and he got to telling me about this 70+ year old that came in, threw 75 grand cash on the table for the GT 500 they had on the lot, which was higher than the markup they were looking for but not listed, and only said "I want it the Shelby, count the money and let's go." Must be nice to have that kind of money...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

he probably had a heart attack driving it...
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Wait for the 09s. You will be able to buy them for MSRP or less.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: owero01

Wait for the 09s. You will be able to buy them for MSRP or less.
if theres any left...It seems that ford not making as many as i though, it still seems to be 1 per dealer which is why they can charge what they charge. The z06 is a great example when it first came up; they were going for well over 85g but now there below the 69g msrp.

it just makes me mad because ford cut alot of coners trying to keep this price down in the low 40s just so the dealer end up mark them up anyway. we could have a 35-600pd cobra,500+hp, more sporty susp then a 2ton cast iron thing of metal...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Man_Of_Leisure
1st Gear Member

A bunch of dealers around here (oregon) try to do the same crap with GT's. There will be a 1-2k marup on the window sticker. Of course if they realize you're a real buyer and you're not gonna pay that they drop it really quick. Dunno if they'd be willing to drop it for a GT-500, but some are lucky enough to get them at or slightly below MSRP.

Quick Reply: damn dealer markups!