Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mgw shifter vibration/noise? need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default mgw shifter vibration/noise? need help

okay I have the best shifter on the planet like many of us do. My wonderful MGW is making a loud vibration type sound. you cannot feel it but you here it when you are on the gas at a steady speed and you take your hand off the shifter. if you put your hand on it it will stop. before I go tearing things apart has anyone had the same issue. up top nothing is obviously loose. I am using the shifter stops as well.
on another note I just had my spyder shaft installed and it does clear the MGW shifter. it is close but no issues. stock ride height and we fully compressed the suspension and bounced it around just to be sure. I am not promisingeveryone will have the same result but I just wanted to report my findings.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: mgw shifter vibration/noise? need help

Well I don't know from personal experience, as mine has never done this. However, George at MGW warned against setting the shift stops too close, as it would result in a nasty vibration, which sounds just like what you describe.

I would tear the top off, and either remove the shift stops (not necessary anyway) or at least adjust them back from the shifter. See if the vibration clears up.....

Mike
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07 AM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I had a simular problem and mine was the two 1/2 inch bolts that connect the shifter arm to the shifter. The rubber isolater ripped and for some reason the bolts kept backing out and it was making a slight grind when I put it in first. I sent the MGW back and got my money back and re-installed my Tri-Ax that I was so stuipid to take out in the first place. I was one of the first ones to do the trial and air with the MGW and it has some kinks that need to be worked out because mine fell apart after 100 miles[:@]Good Luck! All their previous shifters rock but the S197 shifter just plain sucks...I don't know what all the hype was about.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

My shifter has started to rattle. Mostly in 3rd gear at wide open throttle. I'm pretty sure it's something in the stock gear linkage. I know it's not the handle, I put heavy duty loctite on that mother and torqued the hell out of it.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ok your starting to creep me out guys I recently placed an order on a pro 5.0 shifter but then so how awesome the MGW quality was so I cancelled the pro 5.0 and ordered the MGW ... many people has them .. and have no issues... why do you guys have them...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

ok your starting to creep me out guys I recently placed an order on a pro 5.0 shifter but then so how awesome the MGW quality was so I cancelled the pro 5.0 and ordered the MGW ... many people has them .. and have no issues... why do you guys have them...
PRO 50 Or STEEDA TRI-AX FTW!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

The main problem with the MGW is they tried to reduce noise and vibration with all sorts of rubber isolated parts, which in the long run rubbergets hot and soft and produces many weak spots on the shifter. After 2 weeks of the MGW shifter in the car everytime I was at high rpm you can feel the shifter flexing as bad as the stock shifter. Check all your under side of the shifter bolts, I checked mine once a week and they where always loose even with red loc-tite[:@]I installed over 30 shifters in local mustangs, alot of hurst shifters, pro 50's and steeda's, this MGW was by far the biggest POS.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

okay I was not looking to start a thread about which is better etc. I have fixed the problem and it had nothing to do with the shifter itself. it was my hurst shifter ball making noise. I put a rubber o ring in between the nut and the brass threaded insert that is inside the shifter ball. problem solved.
I have no issues what so ever with my MGW shifter. I have tried the roush, steeda and hurst. I like the MGW best so that is what Iused. too many people on here get into opinions of which is better. they are all good products and it comes down to personal preference.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Well that's good news. Even better is that George is going to offer a Hurst style ball with the MGW logo, it should be better quality than the Hurst ball.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Wow, people with mgw shifter complaints. I was one of the first few to install the MGW myself. Its been what, a few months with zero issues, I love it! And would recommend it to anyone.

Quick Reply: mgw shifter vibration/noise? need help