Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Horrible Sound, What is it???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default Horrible Sound, What is it???

I have an 07 GT with about 600 miles on it. On my way home from work this morning, I jumped on the express way and decided to stretch her legs for the first time. Got her up to 125mph (rather quickly Imust say) and then got off at the next exit just a second or two later.

I then noticed a loud, rattling noise coming from the rear-end of my car . I'm pretty sure it was the exhaust. It soundedso badI thoughtsomething was about to fall off . I jumped out and checked under the car, however didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Aftera fewminutes, I jumped back in and took off again. Thenoise was gone .

Was that normal? What the heck was it? Will it happen again?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Horrible Sound, What is it???

I've got about 1000 miles on mine and I opened it up to 110 on the beltway one morning going to work (4:00 AM no one around).I never really heard anything strange from the rear of the car.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I started to notice a grinding noise, almost like my exhaust had an air leak around the mufflers, about 3 weeks after I installed the S/C and magnaflow mufflers. It would happen only taking off in 1st from a stop light. Iknew it wasn't tranny/clutch related due to sound coming from the rear of the car, andit would only do it occasionalyafter engine temp was up to norm operating temp (12:00 position). It was going on and on, I talked to JDM and local speed shops, dyno tune showed I was running lean just off idle, so I did the obvious replaced/upgraded to a twin gt500 pump. Drove it around some more still same noise, at least I wasn't running lean (good thing). I took it in to have gears swapped out for 3.73's and a coastline driveshaft about 1 month ago. I haven't heard it since. So conclusion, my noise was most likely the 2 piece driveshaft.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seniorsmith

I have an 07 GT with about 600 miles on it. On my way home from work this morning, I jumped on the express way and decided to stretch her legs for the first time. Got her up to 125mph (rather quickly Imust say) and then got off at the next exit just a second or two later.

I then noticed a loud, rattling noise coming from the rear-end of my car . I'm pretty sure it was the exhaust. It soundedso badI thoughtsomething was about to fall off . I jumped out and checked under the car, however didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Aftera fewminutes, I jumped back in and took off again. Thenoise was gone .

Was that normal? What the heck was it? Will it happen again?
Normal? No way.
What was it? Very hard to tell, never exprienced that problem.
Will it happen again? Try to recreate thenoise again, I doubt it is a recurrent problem, maybe you just drove over some piece of debri that got caught under your car.