Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT

Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT

Get the stick, automatics can't compare. If you know how to ride a motorcycle, picking up how to shift a car should be piece of cake. After a week or two you will be an old pro. It just taks practice.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:35 PM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

ORIGINAL: Nixtang

I hated myself for buying an automatic 'Stang - all others I had ownenwere manuals. When I bought it, Ford was offering 0% financing over 72 months. I searched long and hard and could not find one in a manual. I decided that a new mustang at 0% was what I wanted, regardless of thetransmission. After driving it off the showroom floor, regret soon sank it. However, after a year of ownership, I am happy to say that I really enjoy driving it (especially after a tune and gears). About $1,000 in mods was all it took for it to run high 12's.

If I had to do it all over again, would I? Truthfully, I'm not sure. Every time I hear a new 5 speed mustang throttle up, I get that feeling of regret all over again. On the bright side, my wife can drive my car, meaning that I can take her Jeep SRT-8 to work every now and again...

Not sure this helped you any, but I thought I'd share my thoughts since I was in a similar predicament when I bought mine...
I appreciate it, ya when you hear the 5 speeds throttle up you get that feeling of nasty the car is, but if something doesnt work out wit me learning the manual before my purchase I wouldnt think twice bout the auto because both transmissions seem very nice on the GT
Get the manual. It's more fun.

If my girly-girl wife could learn to drive ours in a week, so can you.

Tell your parents that Wikipedia says the manual gives you MORE control over the speed and keeps you aware of your speed at all times. The tranny is not going to downshift (resulting sometimes in loss of traction) unlessYOU tell it to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

Manual transmissions typically offer better fuel economy than automatics
Certain fuel-saving modes of operation simply do not occur in an automatic transmission vehicle, but are accessible to the manual transmission driver.
Manual transmissions are generally significantly lighter than torque-converter automatics
Vehicles with manual transmissions are typically less expensive than those with automatic transmissions
Manual transmissions generally require less maintenance than automatic transmissions
A driver has more direct control over the state of the transmission with a manual than an automatic. This control is important to an experienced, knowledgeable driver who knows the correct procedure for executing a driving maneuver, and wants the machine to realise his or her intentions exactly and instantly.
Driving a manual requires more involvement from the driver, thereby discouraging some dangerous practices. The manual selection of gears requires the driver to monitor the road and traffic situation, anticipate events and plan a few steps ahead.
The driver of a manual transmission car can develop an accurate intuition for how fast the car is traveling, from the sound of the motor and the gear selection.

Have fun whatever you get!

Drew
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Now is the time to learn. Get the stick!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FirePower

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

ORIGINAL: Nixtang

I hated myself for buying an automatic 'Stang - all others I had ownenwere manuals. When I bought it, Ford was offering 0% financing over 72 months. I searched long and hard and could not find one in a manual. I decided that a new mustang at 0% was what I wanted, regardless of thetransmission. After driving it off the showroom floor, regret soon sank it. However, after a year of ownership, I am happy to say that I really enjoy driving it (especially after a tune and gears). About $1,000 in mods was all it took for it to run high 12's.

If I had to do it all over again, would I? Truthfully, I'm not sure. Every time I hear a new 5 speed mustang throttle up, I get that feeling of regret all over again. On the bright side, my wife can drive my car, meaning that I can take her Jeep SRT-8 to work every now and again...

Not sure this helped you any, but I thought I'd share my thoughts since I was in a similar predicament when I bought mine...
I appreciate it, ya when you hear the 5 speeds throttle up you get that feeling of nasty the car is, but if something doesnt work out wit me learning the manual before my purchase I wouldnt think twice bout the auto because both transmissions seem very nice on the GT
Get the manual. It's more fun.

If my girly-girl wife could learn to drive ours in a week, so can you.

Tell your parents that Wikipedia says the manual gives you MORE control over the speed and keeps you aware of your speed at all times. The tranny is not going to downshift (resulting sometimes in loss of traction) unlessYOU tell it to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

Manual transmissions typically offer better fuel economy than automatics
Certain fuel-saving modes of operation simply do not occur in an automatic transmission vehicle, but are accessible to the manual transmission driver.
Manual transmissions are generally significantly lighter than torque-converter automatics
Vehicles with manual transmissions are typically less expensive than those with automatic transmissions
Manual transmissions generally require less maintenance than automatic transmissions
A driver has more direct control over the state of the transmission with a manual than an automatic. This control is important to an experienced, knowledgeable driver who knows the correct procedure for executing a driving maneuver, and wants the machine to realise his or her intentions exactly and instantly.
Driving a manual requires more involvement from the driver, thereby discouraging some dangerous practices. The manual selection of gears requires the driver to monitor the road and traffic situation, anticipate events and plan a few steps ahead.
The driver of a manual transmission car can develop an accurate intuition for how fast the car is traveling, from the sound of the motor and the gear selection.

Have fun whatever you get!

Drew
I appreciate it , I think im set with the Manual. This wednesday we got an older car to help me get back into the reins of shifting(use to ride dirtbikes) So im thinking its going to be 07 White GT, Chrome 18's, manual transmission
Old 06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Reading this makes me wonder one thing. Why are Autos so popular out in the states?

Here in the UK everyone once they start learning to drive is taught to drive a manual car. Its actually difficult to be taught in an Automatic and I think thats a better thing to do. It stops you having to learn later on in life and with some proper tuition in a manual you learn quickly. Also in my mind it makes you much better at reading road conditions properly. And because you dont get as bored you concentrate more on what your doing.

And with rising fuel costs especially here in Europe where it works out around $7 a gallon it makes much more sense to use an manual for the improved economy.