Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

Default Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT

Alright here's my predicament, im upgrading from an 05 V6 auto, to a 07 GT....I always loved auto but I have always been a fan of a manual transmission, although I cannot drive a car in manual only a motorcycle. I have been eager to learn and what not but my parents (17yrs old, they're helping me a little on GT) they want me to get an Auto. There reasoning, you dont know how to! Which is true but only in a car, I can have it down after some trainning I think 2. A manual transmission spells one thing, speeding. So im at a loss, Im getting a GT and im thankful for it but I would love for it to be a manual after I learn. I figure if I show them they might be more apt on the idea of a manual transmission, whats the best way to learn, find an old beater car with a manual transmission and learn it out or should I heed their advice and go auto?

I have been told numerous times there is no difference in speed but heck, with the manual just seems so much more fun! It seems like you have better control over your speed(especially on turns) and who can honestly say they dont love sitting at a stop light, holding the clutch and giving a v8 hello to the 4 banger ricer next to you?

thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT

When I was shopping for my stag, I spent over 5 months looking for a manual alone. Granted I wanted it to be white as well, but I didnt give up.
I couldve had an automatic 10 times over, but it was worth the wait.

Nothing like being able to rev the bag out of the engine whenever you want to show someone up, as well as being able to control the engine when your really laying in to her.

I will never buy an automatic sports car. I just dont think its right, automatic sports car?!? come on!
Granted, if your running HIGH HP, then auto is better for the track, but for a daily driver, I would never change from manual...just makes it that much more fun!

I'd say, find a manual car and learn, its NOT hard AT ALL! Give yourself a couple hours and you'll have the hang of it. Our cars are pretty easy to drive, manual wise, alot easier than my old Cougar XR7....
Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nothing wrong with auto's, i've owned them and
i've owned sticks. either one and you will love
your new gt.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:28 AM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Im 17 also. Ive raced go karts for 10 years and that helped alittle but you will learn manuals very quickly. I learned on my steep driveway with cars in front and behind me. No problems. Get the manual!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Find a local driving school that will give you the experience of actually driving one. It will also help with your parents. I have a manual V6 and a manual GT. Lots of fun.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

Ya I drove an automatic GT it was nice, but I can only imagine the fun I could have with a manual
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'll consider a manual on my next one but this time I am having a blast with my auto
Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 AM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

I'll consider a manual on my next one but this time I am having a blast with my auto
oh ya, auto seems really nice, I drove one again today, thing is I dont want to go into my purchase...a car im going to keep for a long time and be like heck wonder how nastier I could have made my ride by being a manual.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

oh ya, auto seems really nice, I drove one again today, thing is I dont want to go into my purchase...a car im going to keep for a long time and be like heck wonder how nastier I could have made my ride by being a manual.
The answer is not much more, but it sounds like you've made up your mind. Remember, that cars are going to get faster and more efficient as time passes. When you say long term, I guess you're thinking 10 years or more? I had my first car for only six years...it was a blink of an eye...hardly "long term".

I wouldn't let little things like that bother you. Think of it this way, in two years you may regret not waiting to get your GT. By the time you're 19 they'll be selling stock Mustang GT's with 50 more horsepower than yours.

By the time you're in your early to mid-20's the stock cars may have 80-100 hp more than yours. Adding a supercharger at that point will only let you keep up with a stock GT. Those cars will have handling modifications you probably won't be able to match. Just ask the guys who bought 1998 Mustang GT's, those had 215 hp.

When that time comes your original debate about stick vs. auto won't matter. You'll either be happy with what you have or ready to trade it in, or you would have put a small fortune in the car. If you do the later then you'll be faster than anything stick or auto and transmission choice still won't matter.

Also remember that when I was in high school the SN-95 was brand new and it was very cool. I still like them and now, I hear people saying they think they look "dated". (I disagree.) I guess the same thing will happen to my 2006, eventually? (I don't care, I love it!)

I would buy either the stick or auto and enjoy it, so long as I got what I wanted and not what others said I wanted. I definitely wouldn't base my purchase on how much more I could theoretically modify one more than the other.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 AM
MuscleFanatic
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

ORIGINAL: MuscleFanatic

The answer is not much more, but it sounds like you've made up your mind. Remember, that cars are going to get faster and more efficient and times pass. When you say long term, I guess you're thinking 10 years or more? I had my first car for only six years...it was a blink of an eye...hardly "long term".

I wouldn't let little things like that bother you. Think of it this way, in two years you may regret not waiting to get your GT. By the time you're 19 they'll be selling stock Mustang GT's with 50 more horsepower than yours.

By the time you're early to mid-20's the stock cars may have 80-100 hp more than yours. Adding a supercharger at that point will only let you keep up with a stock GT. Those cars will have handling modifications you probably won't be able to match. Just ask the guys who bought 1998 Mustang GT's, those had 215 hp.

When that time comes your original debate about stick vs. auto won't matter. You'll either be happy with what you have or ready to trade it in, or you would have put a small fortune in the car. If you do the later then you'll be faster than anything stick or auto and transmission choice still won't matter.
Well not too long, but a decent amount of time 6yrs prob but thats 6yrs of modding also

Quick Reply: Alright guys, need some advice on 5 speed 07 GT