Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Super charger or Turbo for 5K next week??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Super charger or Turbo for 5K next week??

i think frpp has a whipple sc making 400hp for a little under 5. Im sure if you shop around, it can be done. I have no idea how good of a sc that is, i also hear roush sc you can keep ur warr but i also "hear" that not the best of sc.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Give Turbo Horsepower a call and talk to Jim Napier he will fix you up.

Earl
Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

personally I'd opt for any positive displacement blower over a centrifugal...if racing, the centrifugals might be more appealing as more effective intercooling, less weight, etc...but for an everyday car, the off idle torque increase with a positive displacement type would be very cool...if I had the cash laying around, it would be my first choice- roush or saleen, but think installed looking at 6~6500...mighty steep for a big airpump. only drawback would be the extra power would kinda ruin the balance with traction- stock its very stable, easy to slide when desired...think more power would easily get you in trouble- well, me anyways
Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 4mymustang

Thanks guys,

Unless something else comes up from one of you it looks like I will go with the Brenspeed $4,240 Vortech
Says it includes everything, some of you missed the edit on my first post that a friend of mine said he will install it with my help so I will save some cash there. A few pizzas and some drinks is all I will need to pay him.

If there is something that should be on the list from Brenspeed that I will need PLEASE let me know so I can plan on getting it. So far I have only added gages to the list . I was thinking about A/F, Boost and oil pressure. If you suggest 3 other gage pods then please chime in. The paxton is an option on the same page as well. It cost a little more but puts out more HP, it would not leave much left for anything else I may need, like those gage pods.

Here is the link, Vortech is all the way at the bottom. Thanks to everyone for the info, I really appreciate it!
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...rchargers.html

One other thing, I did look into the turbo website that one of you posted but they do not list any number info at all so I will have to speak with them before I even can consider them.

I'd get the icebox and a battery relocation kit. That bigger resevoir is not only for ice at the track. Just having all that extra water keeps your blower cooler when cruising around as well. Must have with the Vortech IMO.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...p=21&cat_key=3
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
4mymustang

Thanks FordFan,

Where would you move the battery to? I know it maybe should be obvious but I dont know where to move it to???

Ford 4v4 I will only make to the track once in a while (maybe once a month) I work allot. Do you think its worth it?? "positive displacement blower over a centrifugal...if racing" I will be killing the next step up of cars on the street though when I get the set up.

retfr- I'm gonna call him but I dont want to waste his time or mine if his rwhp wont be as much as the Vortec for that price. (see above) I think that is a pretty sweet deal as there is nothing else I "need" to hook it up and go UNLESS I go with the two above mentioned options.

So the verdict is almost in.

Its gonna be the Vortech UNLESS the turbo guys puts a better deal together for the cash and the rwhp numbers ALONG with safety. But I am still checking for complete deals out there so time will tell. Say some nice chsrgers but they were not complete. I will be pissed if I spend a bunch of cash and I still gotta but stuff just to hook it up!

Hey johnV8 I looked at the Ford Sc. I really caught my eye. But I dont think that has everything like the brenspeed deal complete.

ANYONE have any problems with the Brenspeed one being "non intercooled"? Or is that no big deal?? Oh yeah, I drive my car about once a week or every 2 weeks 90% highway if you guys are wondering what kinda driving I will be doing in the car.

You guys have really helped me out by this feed back when you did not have to. I hope to be drinking from the well of superchargers very very soon.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Battery needs to go in the trunk
Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

ANYONE have any problems with the Brenspeed one being "non intercooled"? Or is that no big deal??
At that boost level it's quite safe. Talk to Brent on the phone, he can explain it much better to you than I can. He's very convincing when you talk to him directly, he'll set your mind at ease.

I wouldn't consider a turbo at that price point. Any kit for that $$ won't be complete, it's a much more complicated install than the Brenspeed kit, is definitely more trouble prone and will require a custom tune by someone who knows what they are doing. And people that know what they are doing with a S197 and a turbo are few and far between.

I can't stress enough the inportance of talking to Brent directly, you'll be glad you did!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 4mymustang

Thanks FordFan,

Where would you move the battery to? I know it maybe should be obvious but I dont know where to move it to???

Ford 4v4 I will only make to the track once in a while (maybe once a month) I work allot. Do you think its worth it?? "positive displacement blower over a centrifugal...if racing" I will be killing the next step up of cars on the street though when I get the set up.

retfr- I'm gonna call him but I dont want to waste his time or mine if his rwhp wont be as much as the Vortec for that price. (see above) I think that is a pretty sweet deal as there is nothing else I "need" to hook it up and go UNLESS I go with the two above mentioned options.

So the verdict is almost in.

Its gonna be the Vortech UNLESS the turbo guys puts a better deal together for the cash and the rwhp numbers ALONG with safety. But I am still checking for complete deals out there so time will tell. Say some nice chsrgers but they were not complete. I will be pissed if I spend a bunch of cash and I still gotta but stuff just to hook it up!

Hey johnV8 I looked at the Ford Sc. I really caught my eye. But I dont think that has everything like the brenspeed deal complete.

ANYONE have any problems with the Brenspeed one being "non intercooled"? Or is that no big deal?? Oh yeah, I drive my car about once a week or every 2 weeks 90% highway if you guys are wondering what kinda driving I will be doing in the car.

You guys have really helped me out by this feed back when you did not have to. I hope to be drinking from the well of superchargers very very soon.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you a centrifi can't make power at the track. They don't know what they are talking about. I ran solid 11.60's on the stock motor for over a year with the vortech with no problems and I doubt there are too many on this site that are running those numbers on the stock motor with any kit. Sutton Performance was the first to break in tho the 9's with a stock motor way back when and they did it with a Vortech. The current world record is held by Justin Burcham (it is in the 8's) and it was done on a Procharger (yep - another centrfi)

Brent is a good guy but despite what he or anyone tells you for that matter, I would strongly urge you to consider the intercooled vortech. To answer your question it is a HUGE DEAL on these motors. The 4.6 does not like to get hot and high IAT's (Intake Air Temps) are bad news for your performance, rotating assembly, and valve train.

The majority of blown stock motors has been on non-intercooled and air cooled kits and that's a fact - not up for debate. In the very beginning of the S197 when only the procharger and vortech were available, it was the procharger that was grenading blocks and the air cooled design had A LOT to do with it.

The current heat issues with high boost on all the turbo kits has loads to do with their air cooled design. Do whatever and don't just take my advice but I garuntee you if you talk to any of the top shops in the country they will tell you it is in your best interest and much better/easier on your car to get the intercooled kit.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help. I have alot of expereince with the vortech.

Oh - and correct - the battery relocation kits move your battery to the trunk. You don't need the pricey vortech one. Any kit from summit around $99 will do.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Get a whipple. I got the black non-intercooled kit and did the install with a buddy, then had a local shop dyno tune it. To get the supercharger here and the dyno tune it cost me $4600. Also the kit comes with everything for an easy install.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

If I were you I'd opt to spend a little bit more and get Brent's Paxton kit.

Quick Reply: Which Super charger or Turbo for 5K next week??