Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Torque Converter Again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Torque Converter Again?

I really want to look into buying a new torque converter for the car. I have a full exhaust system (lt headers, x pipe and cats, cat back magnaflow), an intake, 3.73 gears, bama tune, ud pulleys, and delete plates... will the torque converter really help with the quarter mile times and how the car shifts? I also have a tune from Doug at B ama. Would he just update this tune depending on what brand/type of torque converter I get? How much do TC's usually go for (a good one)? How long does it take to install? And, is it worth the money?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Converter Again?

The TC should cut about 5 tenths off you 1/4 mile times it's one the best things you can do for an auto.

Earl
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

I really want to look into buying a new torque converter for the car. I have a full exhaust system (lt headers, x pipe and cats, cat back magnaflow), an intake, 3.73 gears, bama tune, ud pulleys, and delete plates... will the torque converter really help with the quarter mile times and how the car shifts? I also have a tune from Doug at B ama. Would he just update this tune depending on what brand/type of torque converter I get? How much do TC's usually go for (a good one)? How long does it take to install? And, is it worth the money?
- The torque converter (if properly setup and tuned for) will net several 1/10s in the qtr.
- It's best to get your car dyno tuned for the TC but I've known of several people who didn't.
- A good torque converter can run $700 - $900 depending where you get one from (PI or Level 10) but if price is an issue, you can get a TCI for around $500. I've heard mixed reviews on the TCI.
- It'd probably take a shop a few hours to install. You have to drop the transmission but a shop will have a lift and transmission stand so it'd be easy for them.
- It is one of the best things you can do for an auto but make it your last mod because everything has to be taken into account when choosing the TC's specifications (this is for best results).
Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Do it, It was the mod that made the biggest difference on my car.

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i have had the TCI for over a year and never experienced any problems. i dropped 3- 4 tenths when i installed mine and dougs tune netted me another 3-4 tenths over my previous tune. expect mid 12's n/a with a converter and b ama tun e.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I have been telling you guys for years that auto guys should have a TC as one of their top 3 on their mod list...lol

As for the best? The TCI is good as Ron testified but I personally think the PI Multi disc is the best one hands down.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

I have been telling you guys for years that auto guys should have a TC as one of their top 3 on their mod list...lol

As for the best? The TCI is good as Ron testified but I personally think the PI Multi disc is the best one hands down.

Yeah, but the PI multidisk sells for $1100, the TCI $630. I wanted to go for the TCI but since I'm planning going F/I in the future, the PI multidisk is the one to go for.....unless the TCI can handle it? I'm talking about 550+RWHP

BTW what's the difference between the Lock-up and non-lockup converter? (I don't have a clue on how the TC operates)
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Black89LX
2nd Gear Member

Baha,
At high speeds the transmission catches up with the engine and almost goes the same speed, this difference in speed wastes power.

A lock up torque converter has a clutch that locks the two halves of the TC(pump and turbine) together when they getup tospeed. The clutch eliminates slippage and improves efficiency.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

So explain tuning issues with the torque converter. I have the B ama tune on the car. If I dyno the car, will that eliminate everything the B ama tune has done for the car? (will it still chirp from 1 to 2 and sumtimes 2 to 3?) hahaha... would a dyno tune be much better than the custom tunes I ordered from Doug?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

or, does the dyno tune just add to the tune already on the car... because the tun from B ama is good as is... and I want to make sure that if anything, a Dyno tune will provide me with MORE than what the B ama tune gave me.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Again?