Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno/Tune Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Dyno/Tune Safe?

How safe are the dynamometers when it comes to a tune for a whipple-charged GT?
How many runs does it typically take to obtain the proper tune?
I am being told the shop needs 4-8 runs.... is this too much?
I am just a bit concerned since I was sent a "Waiver and Release of Liability" form and the verbiage seems to basically say that if the car has any mechanical failures then I am SOL.

The car is supposed to go to the shop on Friday morning and I will get it back Saturday morning..... I am a bit hesitant leaving it overnight but at the same time this is a known tuner and shop and I got a great package deal. I just do not want to be stuck with a brand new Mustang w/Whipple HO that is all busted up. Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno/Tune Safe?

Don't worry...as long as the guy is reputable...if your unsure...ask about previous work, or talk to someone who had work done there before...but you said that he's known in the area...
If he's known for good work, then dont worry about it...

They just want to cover their asses too! They arent going to make it blow up...it has to be done...so why are you questioning getting it done? if your unsure then go somewhere else...but youre gonna need a tune if your putting the Whipple on it...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

welcome back cryptic, haven't seen ya in awhile...
since you've been gone, i installed my own whipple HO
and am loving it. i'm running the frpp tune at present.

i hear you about the dyno tune and like said above, the
shop just has to cover their behinds. i think it will be fine,
these shops have done hundreds of dyno runs/tunes....

good luck and i hope you get a baseline dyno run, so we'll
know what the kit does with a conservative tune.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

The whipple is already in it. I had the xCal preloaded with the whipple tune so I could at least get it to the shop. The tune will be done by VMP Tuning Inc. in Florida. http://www.vmptuning.com/

I know it has to be done.... its just the thought of all that work I put in to the install, making everything clean, and then signing a document that says if someone else blows it up.....tough **** and so sorry.
I guess I am just overthinking the process and worrying too much about it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

haha....VMP is one of the best....i cant believe you are even worrying....I would kill to have them tune my car. I am going to head up to Brenspeeds shop for a tune sometime though so that should be just as good.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

hey hammeron! sorry for the leave of absence. i was in Baghdad for a couple months.....
i just got back to Japan on the 25th and have been trying to coordinate the tune I wasnt able to get done before I left.
congrats on getting your whipple! they are bad @ss man. i need to work on getting some suspension items to eliminate some of the wheel spin. the only thing that bothered me when i was home driving it around was the traction control. it only runs wide open when u turn off the traction control. i dont always remember to reach up there and turn it off and i got beat by my uncles modded Cobra because of that d@mn TC the first time. i had to make him line up with me again to prove i could stomp his @ss.... which i did once i turned off the TC.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

oh and an update on my status here. i am finally leaving japan in two weeks, will fly to FL and get my stuff then relocate to CA. .......and no, I am not driving the Mustang across country - she will be on a flatbed trailor connected to our truck. not looking forward to that drive at all. lol
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well have a safe trip cross country, i hope
it's a pleasent one.

can't wait to hear what the tune reveals, who knows, i
may even get one...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

WoW! That's one hell of a long trip! I drove from Iowa to Texas without stopping at a Hotel and it really got to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Yeah, its going to be one long @ss drive......
I am excited and anxious with this tune. Justin at VMP has been awesome in helping me and I look forward to seeing these numbers. I will post the dyno sheet once he gets a solid tune set up on it.

Quick Reply: Dyno/Tune Safe?