Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Rattle: or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Rattle: or is it?

Gang,

I'm noticing a brief rattle in the low rpm range (rightat the beginning of the drone range in my borlas)in every gear that sounds like it is coming from the rear-passenger side of the car. I was thinking it had to be coming from one of the Borlas, so I checked it when I had it up on a rack having the oil changed. All the bushings seemed fine, and the clamps seemed tight. I gave it a good jiggle and nothing seemed to be rattling at all. I also rearranged things I had in the trunk (like my golf bag), and it is still coming from the same spot. The only thing I haven't done is checked the spare tire and jack compartment to see if something is loose in there. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
brett06

Default RE: Exhaust Rattle: or is it?

im having the same exact problem but i feel like my noise is coming from the front passenger side. i only get it in in low RPMs. Im thinking possibly a bad cat. I also checked mine while i was getting the oil changed. My borlas were tight and the cats up front seemed alright. HELP US!! [:@]
Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

So I still haven't checked the jack/spare area. It really sounds like a loose piece of metal rattling around back there...do exhaust leaks have that kind of metallic ringing?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

could be a heat shield or innards of one of the cats...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Well, mine is definitely coming from the rear of the car.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
ericmuscle
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem with my gt. it ended up being the rear passenger heat shield. i took the 2 nuts off the heat shield and lowered it down and problem solved. i had the problem after i installed my o/r x pipe though. it sounded like my whole exhaust was about to fall off and it only happened at low rpms. hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 AM
AWESOMO 4000
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem. Happens around 2800rpm. I thought it wasa heatsheild, but they all seem tight. I'll try losening and tighting things next time I have it up on my dads hoist. Thought maybe it was something muffler related. Car was delivered with the drivers side exhaust tip haning about 2" lower than the other side. Nice job, Ford. Quality is Job......oh hey, break time!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:06 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I also played around with the same rattle, turns out I put foam under the spare tires and the noise stopped!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I, too, have Borla Stinger catbacks with the same *rattling* in the rear end.......exact same symptoms......rattling noted at lower RPM's.......i have had all the clamps and fitments checked and checked and still have the rattling....what gives????
Shella ~
Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Have you played with the spare tire/jack Shella?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Rattle: or is it?