Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Representing Mustangs In South America/Caribbean, S/C Advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Representing Mustangs In South America/Caribbean, S/C Advise

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to supercharge my mustang in the near future.
However due to my location i'm having second thoughts. There are no dyno's in the whole country.(I'm in south america, Suriname, above brasil)
We have an upcoming drag scene however muscle cars are barely represented.So far the japanese imports are dominating the scene. Therefore i've decided to represent American Muscle cars here.
I want to modify my mustang so i will have no problems with the charger, now or even 5 years from now. I'm willing to invest in everything to make sure i have no trouble in the long run.

Questions:
Which modifications are basic before supercharging?
Which extra modifications to ensure durability in the long run(talking about the next 10 years)?
Do i need a special tune? If so, can it be orderded online?
I'm looking to push atleast 400hp at the wheels, which charger would you recommend?

Don't know if i'm asking the right questions
so if you think there's anything elsei should know please do.

Thanks Guys

Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Representing Mustangs In South America/Caribbean, S/C Advise

If money is noconcern you should try any of the S/C kits out there, I can tell you I installed the whipple S/C myself and I am no pro mechanic, that should give you over 450 470 rwhp. beyond that you'll need to add forged internals to your engine, pistons, rods, crank etc.
I'd start with the HO whipple, it will be very relieable unless you live on the strip in which case even a stock engine will eventually give up, add some headers, 3.73 or 4.10 gearsfor drag racing and some slicks that you will need for tractionat the races and you'll be eating rice in no time.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Kenne Bell, will have everything you need and give good #'s!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Does the kit include EVERYTHING to upgrade a fully stock mustang?
I take it that i'll need a different "tune" does the kit include that 2?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Most of the kits include everything you need, some might require you to buy the spark plugs separately.
The whipple kit comes with everithing and I mean eveything you need, you dont even need a tuner since it comes with a Ford flash tool, however you need a US address because they won't ship the tool outside the US.
I can send you a copy of the installation manual so you can havea better idea of what I am talking about,I think you can download a manual for the Saleen kit from their website, and Iam not sure about K&B, Paxton, Vortech etc.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Check first wich ones can be imported into your country and how much you will be paying in taxes.
I would firs try the TwinScrew chargers, then the crntris.

GL
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Thnx for the info.
I downloaded the saleen manual for my mechanic to see what he thinks.
Another question though,
What do i do with my CAI intake and tune? can i just run the 89?
Someone suggested i get a better fuel pump? is that necessary?
How long do the better chargers like whipple etc. last?
they all have about 3 year warranty's but seeing i'm planning on shipping
that won't matter because i won't be shipping it back if i have problems or if it has a defect, so i just need the one with the best reputation.

Obviously i'm really nervous about charging, due to lack of proffesionals here, i'm afraid they'll screw it up.

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

Most of the kits include everything you need, some might require you to buy the spark plugs separately.
The whipple kit comes with everithing and I mean eveything you need, you dont even need a tuner since it comes with a Ford flash tool, however you need a US address because they won't ship the tool outside the US.
I can send you a copy of the installation manual so you can havea better idea of what I am talking about,I think you can download a manual for the Saleen kit from their website, and Iam not sure about K&B, Paxton, Vortech etc.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

What are your opinions on the following chargers?
Vortech
Paxton
Kenne Bell
Whipple
Saleen
Roush

How are they're durability? Do they need a lot of maintenance?
What kind of maintenance? What are their level of difficulty to install?
Which other modifications do they require to function properly on the long run?
(fuel pump, headers, new exhaust?)
Old 06-23-2007, 01:48 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

If you install a SC your CAI and tune will be replaced as they wont work with the SC.
The high powersuperchargers with more than 8psi, come with new fuel injectors, and in the case of whipple new dual fuel pump.(borrowed from the GT500)
Superchargers are supposed to last a long time, as per the maintenance Whipple recommends to change the oil (just a few ounces of special oil) every 100000 miles, Centrifugal i.e. Paxton Vortech, Procharger use engine oil so you have to tap the oil pan.
Personally I've owned a Paxton at only 4 psi, I had problems with the intake coming loose and the power gains were marginal for the money, I was very disappointed, then I owned a Thinderbird SC with a factory Eaton roots type SC never had a single problem with it, and made a lot of power for a little 3.8 V6 engine.
Now I have the Whipple on my stang, I am extremely pleased withits performance and quality.
Installation is easy for a good mechanic as long as he can read english. it's a bolt on after all, I am an economist and installed the whipple and everything else in my car myself, but you better be sure your mechanic is familiar with modern engines before proceeding
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Someone just old me that some superchargers come with like "on/off" switch's?
like you can just turn them off when you don't need the extra power...is that true? [&:]
(if so, do any of the above mentioned brands have them, or is it already in the "standard" intercooled s/c kit?)

Quick Reply: Representing Mustangs In South America/Caribbean, S/C Advise