Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to make my GT suspension stiffer... I think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Default Want to make my GT suspension stiffer... I think?

Here's the deal, I dropped my car 2" with the DropZone lowering springs. I love the way the car sits and it rides great on flat roads. Then I installed my new exhaust system and the new pipes hang lower. That causes the car to bottom out on a rough road and in pot holes. Also, since installing the new springs the car seems to bounce around a good bit on bumpy roads.

Before I make a fool out of myself, would a stiffer suspension help my problem? What exactally would I need? I heard that just putting springs on the stock struts would make the car a bit bouncy so I looked into different struts. I was looking at the saleen ones because I drove the saleen s281 and it felt pretty good to me but I figure I would post ont he boards and see what you guys had to say.

So what would be the cheapest way to make the suspension stiffer? I'm a little tight on money after my thousand dollar bill today for all of my install work I had done

Thanks in advance

Neal
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to make my GT suspension stiffer... I think?

I was looking at the saleen ones because I drove the saleen s281 and it felt pretty good to me...
What do you mean? What was it about the ride that you preferred over yours? If you can give a good descriptive answer to that,people here could better help you.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:45 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I was looking at the saleen ones because I drove the saleen s281 and it felt pretty good to me...
What do you mean? What was it about the ride that you preferred over yours? If you can give a good descriptive answer to that,people here could better help you.
The ride in the saleen just seemed more stable when going over bumps and cornering. Sorry for the lack of details, don't really know how to describe it properly.

I mainly just want to loose the bouncy ride.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

part of the reason is its a completely different setup than the stock gts and also they are not dropped 2 inches. buy some dspecs and that will help the ride....as for bottoming out, you are dropped 2 inches....that isnt going to change really...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

part of the reason is its a completely different setup than the stock gts and also they are not dropped 2 inches. buy some dspecs and that will help the ride....as for bottoming out, you are dropped 2 inches....that isnt going to change really...
I'm slowly learning to live with the sound of metal dragging over pavement haha

Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I am lowered 1.5" and I have never come close to having anything scrape. Not over speed bumps or anything.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

I am lowered 1.5" and I have never come close to having anything scrape. Not over speed bumps or anything.
lucky you, I have to endure the sound just about every time I go up my driveway, oh well
Old 06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Wait till you have had itfor a couple of years the springs seem to settle more. I recently changed the rear sportlines which is 2" toa1-1/2" drop because of the one piece DS rubbing. You should definitely get a set of D-specs they will make the ride much more bearable. My exhaust has not scraped since the change over.