Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HP Performance turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: HP Performance turbo kit

Just curious why you guys are hell bent on turbos?

I ask because since you don't seem to have access to a really good custom tuner, I would be hesistant to go with any turbo set-up as they hands down have the most issues of any FI kit. The tuning is even more crucial on turbos IMO.

I make that statement based on the fact their are more blown motors on turbos than other other FI for the S197. That coupled with the fact their are the fewest turbo kits on S197's is a dangerous failure rate to me.

In your position, I would strongly be looking into the KB. I like the whipple better for overall street but the KB has the best kit included tune out of all the FI kits IMO.

I know several people who are running strong after awhile on the KB included tune. Most every other FI kit, it really takes a custom tune to get them to tap their potential. Most kits come pretty rich for saftey. The KB is the one exception I have seen. Their included tune is pretty darn good.

Just food for thought. A turbo would be the last option for FI I would look for if I didn't have a good shop/tuner backing me.

ESPECIALLY if I had an auto.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Just curious why you guys are hell bent on turbos?

I ask because since you don't seem to have access to a really good custom tuner, I would be hesistant to go with any turbo set-up as they hands down have the most issues of any FI kit. The tuning is even more crucial on turbos IMO.

I make that statement based on the fact their are more blown motors on turbos than other other FI for the S197. That coupled with the fact their are the fewest turbo kits on S197's is a dangerous failure rate to me.

In your position, I would strongly be looking into the KB. I like the whipple better for overall street but the KB has the best kit included tune out of all the FI kits IMO.

I know several people who are running strong after awhile on the KB included tune. Most every other FI kit, it really takes a custom tune to get them to tap their potential. Most kits come pretty rich for saftey. The KB is the one exception I have seen. Their included tune is pretty darn good.

Just food for thought. A turbo would be the last option for FI I would look for if I didn't have a good shop/tuner backing me.

ESPECIALLY if I had an auto.
I never even cosidered a turbo set up until last night. I've wanted either the whipple or KB for quite some time now. I just saw more power for a cheaper price. So I asked for input. Ill probably stay with the supercharger idea instead.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Mark is right, if you dont have a GREAT Tuner and knows his stuff, then stay away from a turbo, lucky for me, I have a great tuner, but it still took a lot time and effort on his part for it to get right, but he got it right before I got my car back and that meant a lot to me. For me I will never look back on my Turbo purchase, but you have to be commited and have a great shop and tuner, if not you may have issues. IMO go with the Kenne Belle or Whipple. All F/I can make big power and more than likely all you need will always be less than it can put out. I have a 5 speed, and mark is not the first person to state he had issues with an Auto, he was running a big 76 mm (right mark?) and his set up and what he was looking for is not the norm for most.
If you go with a Turbo in most cases the 62mm or 67mm will be fine. Keep it at no higher than 12psi or so and you will be fine and have a 10 sec car (of course if you know how to drive it.) I'm in love with my Hellion Kit, but once they do come out with a True Twin (which maybe the best set up when all said and done) I would go with the KB or whipple or even the Vortech if I was you since you have no tuner close by.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Anyone ever donate there car to reasearch? How much of a discount would I get loaning my car to them? I'll be in Korea for a year so I won't be using it. Just a thought. I actually hate the thought of leaving my baby behind as a guinea pig but its the only way I can see myself getting a sick *** FI setup in the near future.