Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cam question: REVISITED

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Cam question: REVISITED

It seems to me that all that really gets asked at this forum deals with what exhaust should i get, what intake. My friends thinking about a supercharger and all that sorta stuff. I asked a question earlier and no one has helped me. This is sad to say, but i found the answers to my questions much better at an LS1tech forum and fbody forum. Not mustang forums. I guess my question was just not as interesting as the newbies question to whats better, C&L or JLT or blah blah blah. At ls1tech they have all these sticky posted about technical data and information they think everyone should know, even if it is a little over the persons head who thinks he knows something about cars. Maybe i am just not sure how to ask the questions right, but in that forum i got my answers. Thank you everybody

EDIT: Changed thread title for clarity - 28HopUp
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sad day for mustang forum users

Do you have an LS1 in your mustang?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If you are talking about you cam question that is because not many switch the cams in these cars....there has been some dynos that show the gains being totally not worth it.....There are a few people that can answer the questions, CrazyAl for one, but he has been out of the picture for quite awhile. You are right there are a ton of repeat threads about exhaust and CAI/tuners and suspension every hour and they have all been answered many many many times but people still dont search for them and instead post the question. I quit answering alot of them because I get tired of typing the same thing over and over. I agree that many topics can be stickied on here and that would be great but we do the best we can.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear you got your question answered. See, we knew if we ignored you, you would go to the LS1 forum and get the right answer. But you bring up a good point....., what intake should I get?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 AM
myskunk
1st Gear Member

repost using a different heading ?maybe it went over our heads
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

I completely understand that ford did a great job on the cams of the car and i promise i do not want to spend the money on changing the cams, i would rather s/c it. But when they say duration @.05, assuming that is in inches i woudl like to know what that means. I thought duration was the amount of time the valves were open for that particular lobe. I want to know everything about my engine, from the spring rates to the seated pressure. I have taken many engineering classes, yet i am not sure how these cam specs are listed. With my robotics and control systems professor i want him to help me with a project of mine. I have his attention but i want to be able to bring something to the table. I was hoping i could get some help, but instead i am just buying a text book about cams becuase i want to know alot of properties, especially about matierals to determine the shear and normal forces and torsion and moments acting on the shaft, the rockers, and for a project completely design my own system. So howstuffworks.com is not exactly going to help
Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I choose google for many technical questions like this because you can find more dedicated sites to answer your questions....wikipedia is always another first choice.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

But when they say duration @.05, assuming that is in inches i woudl like to know what that means. I thought duration was the amount of time the valves were open for that particular lobe.
Well, I assume you got your answer already, but here goes anyway. Duration is in degrees. But it must be spec'd at some defined lift point on the lobe. The standard that is used for cams is 0.050 inches. There is a number sometimes used for duration that refers to where the lobe begins to rise and falls completely, commonly referred to as "total duration". Obviously, the total duration number will be larger than the duration at 0.050.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Try searching the cam manufacturers web pages like http://www.compcams.com/Technical/they have a wealth of information there and even cam specific forums.
I know sometimes it gets boring reading the same posts over and over again, but for me I've learned and keep learning a lot every day through this forum, and every time I have a chance I try to pass it on.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

as one of the members here who have been around for a couple years now, I feel I can say this:

Deal with it.

I'm sorry to say it, but that's how it is sometimes. Mostly, your problem was that as said, few people bother with the cams in these cars, and even fewer people understand the specs of them. That's why you should use google to try and answer your question first.

When I joined, I basically spent all my time in the Classic section for my 69er. Most topics in there were questions on how to do things, not necessarily what to get, so I too was slightly not used to this at first but hey...every forum is different. Some questions get more attention, some get less. Don't need to bitch about it though cuz that will basically ruin your chance of ever getting an answer again...

Quick Reply: Cam question: REVISITED