Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How To Launch An Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Default How To Launch An Auto?

Ok well this has probably been asked before but I am going to ask again. I have an Auto 07 GT and I feel like it's sluggish when I launch. I have been messing around with different ways to launch it and was wondering whats the best way to launch. I have tried a break stand up to 2k RPM's and that seems to work well. My friend told me to start in 1 and shift up but is that safe in an auto? Well any advice would be great. This is my first car with power like this so I am trying to get used to launching. Thanks

Mike
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How To Launch An Auto?

sorry, can't help ya.....manualhere......
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

sluggish with a tune? was it sluggish since tune or is this new? turn off tcs. thats probably the best way to launch an auto.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

I find that this works well...
TCS button off, overdrive button off,
Just load it (gas and brake) and go!
You are fighting a cheap torque converter, but I found that if you push the TQ's stall speed for too long, you'll go up in tire smoke... The revs wont go high enough for a good launch, and you just end up overpowering the rear brakes...Timing is everything. Some people on this board swear by a Torque Converter swap...good advice.
As for the drive by wire throttle, some stock systems wimp out at WOT, try a steady push instead of flooring it...or get a tuner...more good advice...
I love my auto, great on the highway, but a good 60 foot time requires some cash outlay...[8D]
Chris
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I have a tuner and maybe sluggish is the wrong word, but I can definitely feel the tires spinning even though they may not be chirping. My friend has the similiar mods in his 05, but he has 3.73's and he has Auto and his car launches like a bat out of hell! He beats me because I don't launch as good as he does. He always beats me by the nose of his car and I am always pulling on him, thats how I even get that close,so I figure if I get a good launch I can overtake him.But are any of you familiar with starting in 1 and shifting up? I always keep TCS off and I will try with the O/D off too. The only time I turn off O/D is when I am on the highway doin maybe 65-70 and I want to hit it, it really takes off when I do that.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

If his car have 3.73's and yours is stock there is your nose, then tires is another factor, reaction times, and then all the posible mods.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Try this
https://mustangforums.com/m_3272665/tm.htm
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

dont upshift, with a tune you wont get any better in Drive anyway
Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

3.73's vs 3.31's no wonder his launches like a bat outta hell.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

The upshifting is why the other gears are there for you. They're not for plowing snow.

However, it's not a ratchet action shifter and it's nearly impossible to shift it properly because the shifter won't stop on any of the gears. You have to carefully bump it up to the next gear and that is not easy to do when you are racing your car. B&M is supposed to be offering a ratchet action shifter but it looks like it will never come out at this rate. It also looks like a lollipop so it's not going in my car.

As for the shifting with the tune....probably correct. You're not going to control your car better than the tune. However, I am not positive that the tune controls shift points. In my SCT there is only an option for shift pressure, not shift points. So if the guys who did the tune did not modify the stock shift points, then it MAY be possible to shift the car a little differently and squeeze a little more power from the engine beforethe transmissionshifts.

When B&M releases this thing, we'll see if some of the good drivers on this site can improve their times any.

Quick Reply: How To Launch An Auto?