Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

I would be in trouble if I were in your shoes my car has been known to sit on Jack stands forseveral of weeks at a time till I have the time to get to it or even feeling like working on it. Thank goodness for the companyvehicle and two other Stangs. Good luck with your dilemma why don't you try to buy a old clunker for these situations if at all possible.
I would havebought a beaterthat a while ago if I wasn't going to korea in a month and a half. Thanks for the support guys. Doesn't feel like a 300lb woman on my chest anymore. Just 250lbs now

And you right 22kart22, at least my car won't ever sound like a lawnmower.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I have an unwritten rule (that I usually, not always follow): 10,000 miles between mods! It forces me to consider all the pros and cons (and choices). It also has the added benefit of forcing me to drive my Mustang everywhere, all the time. Any excuse for a road trip!

Sleeper2
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

10,000 miles? Man I'd be over the 100,000 mark and climing fast! LOL!

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

I have an unwritten rule (that I usually, not always follow): 10,000 miles between mods! It forces me to consider all the pros and cons (and choices). It also has the added benefit of forcing me to drive my Mustang everywhere, all the time. Any excuse for a road trip!

Sleeper2
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I know what you mean. I swear this car fights me on everything I do to it.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

Sleeper2
That rule would suck I would only have2 Mods done in 2-1/2 years of owning this car. I have a rule of my own one mod every 3 to 4 months.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

I have a simple rule I follow. No Mods Till The Warranty Runs Out.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear your having a hard time. However I can report I havent had any issues with any of my mods...besides the issue of being broke.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 AM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

In my opinion, I think a problem for most of us here (myself included) is that we are shade-tree mechanics, not exactly trained in working on vehicles, particularly 2005+ Ford Mustangs. I like working on my car, but I am no expert and try to follow the directions, but there are always complications and things not described in the instructions. Also, Ford engineers spend years with computer models, etcto design the Mustang, they have reasons for every component they use or design. I think we mess with fire when we try to make modifications. As an example, one thing I've read is that one of the reasons for using softer rubber bushings in the LCAs is because they are required to flex to handle the axle movements during bumps. When we all replace our LCAs with ones with poly bushings, we are removing this flex, an integralcomponent of thedesign,causing rougher rides and who knows what else in the longer term.

Myself, I'm almost ready to take my car to the dealer and ask them to put my whole suspension back to stock to try to cure my rough ride problems (I bought the car used with many suspension 'upgrades'). However, when they quoted $550 to just replace my springs,I figured I'd just do it myself .
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 AM
PowerHitter

Timmay!!!

Ialso had a high speed vibration and grinding soundwith my 4.10 gear set install. Ended up having three different gear sets installed (all FRPP) with threedifferent shops to get the vibration out. Along the way I tried a PowerHouse Aluminum driveshaft, which only made problems worse. The vibration at high speed is now 99.99% gone, but I ended up with some gear wine on acceleration and a click noise when I gently engage the clutch from a stop. I have decided to live with it.

While we are on the subject of modifications gone wrong, my suspension mods were not without complication. All my components are top of the line, Eibach, Steeda and FRPP and I went with a well known Mustang tuner for installation,thinking I wouldavoid problems, unfortunately that was not the case. I took me weeks to locate thecause of a clunking sound emanating from the front end. Thewell know tuner that installed my initial suspension mods did not tighten the bolt between the swaybar and the endlink causinga clunk every time the car went over a bump. They also forgot to tighten the drivers side through bolt on my adjustable strut tower brace and better yet they forgot to install my adjustable panhard rod so I had to take the car back a second time for that.This well know tuner also did the first 4.10 gear set install that wined and grinded like an SOB. Needless to say I have had enough and won't be going back there anymore. Other than their dyno tune, nothing they did was very good.I worked my way through collegeturning wrenches and even though I can afford to pay someone else to do my mods, I am now under my Stang doing them myself. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Do I feel like giving up? Sometimes, right until I blow the 911 in the next lane away, then it was all worth it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The first and foremost thing you should do is put the stock 17's back on. I see in your avatar you have 20's.

ORIGINAL: jmsurpri

In my opinion, I think a problem for most of us here (myself included) is that we are shade-tree mechanics, not exactly trained in working on vehicles, particularly 2005+ Ford Mustangs. I like working on my car, but I am no expert and try to follow the directions, but there are always complications and things not described in the instructions. Also, Ford engineers spend years with computer models, etcto design the Mustang, they have reasons for every component they use or design. I think we mess with fire when we try to make modifications. As an example, one thing I've read is that one of the reasons for using softer rubber bushings in the LCAs is because they are required to flex to handle the axle movements during bumps. When we all replace our LCAs with ones with poly bushings, we are removing this flex, an integralcomponent of thedesign,causing rougher rides and who knows what else in the longer term.

Myself, I'm almost ready to take my car to the dealer and ask them to put my whole suspension back to stock to try to cure my rough ride problems (I bought the car used with many suspension 'upgrades'). However, when they quoted $550 to just replace my springs,I figured I'd just do it myself .

Quick Reply: Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?