Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

true, but just be glad that your driving a car that most wished they had.

Having a few problems sure beats the hell out of having a ricer!

+1
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

The first and foremost thing you should do is put the stock 17's back on. I see in your avatar you have 20's.

ORIGINAL: jmsurpri

In my opinion, I think a problem for most of us here (myself included) is that we are shade-tree mechanics, not exactly trained in working on vehicles, particularly 2005+ Ford Mustangs. I like working on my car, but I am no expert and try to follow the directions, but there are always complications and things not described in the instructions. Also, Ford engineers spend years with computer models, etcto design the Mustang, they have reasons for every component they use or design. I think we mess with fire when we try to make modifications. As an example, one thing I've read is that one of the reasons for using softer rubber bushings in the LCAs is because they are required to flex to handle the axle movements during bumps. When we all replace our LCAs with ones with poly bushings, we are removing this flex, an integralcomponent of thedesign,causing rougher rides and who knows what else in the longer term.

Myself, I'm almost ready to take my car to the dealer and ask them to put my whole suspension back to stock to try to cure my rough ride problems (I bought the car used with many suspension 'upgrades'). However, when they quoted $550 to just replace my springs,I figured I'd just do it myself .
+1 Thats a pretty steep price to put the stock springs back in. The rears are super easy and the fronts aren't anything crazy. Can be done in a couple of hours if you don't run into any snags.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean about having the car laid up. I actually went out and bought a 99 Toyota Tacoma just for that reason. My wife was getting pissed everytime I said "honey, I need to borrow your car".
Old 06-27-2007, 01:59 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

The first and foremost thing you should do is put the stock 17's back on. I see in your avatar you have 20's.

Yep, got myself some 18s a week ago (haven't updated my pic). They helped with the 'feeling every pebble in the road' problem, but they didn't help with overall bouncing/jolts over larger imperfections in the road.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Having the right people do the job is always a good idea, especially rear gears. Also buying the right parts to work together.
I changed my drivehshaft to the Powerhouse and it has never vibrated on my automatic Stang tested up to 164 MPH.

I cant say enough about the Kenne Bell kit. It has been trouble-free since day one. I atribute that to great engineering by KB and a well balance kit designed to work together.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

my rule is, pay off my small student loan, then some real mod's! that should be done by October, and i should get a decent bonus at work at the beginning of December. its gonna be a very merry Christmas
Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller
I cant say enough about the Kenne Bell kit. It has been trouble-free since day one. I atribute that to great engineering by KB and a well balance kit designed to work together.
+1
Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

I feel your pain my three day affair with my car ended yesterday. I just finnished putting in a steeda shifter and zex nitrous kit with all the goodies. Total time advertised for installing these parts was 7-8 hours it took me(this isthe first car I have ever worked on or modded)about 12 hours to do over 3 days. With my beater that broke down a few months ago it was really aggavating finding rides to work and not having my car. I'll take the 3 days now after the second test ride it works and should be a mid 12 sec car now.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Well I might be in the clear.Checked mypinion flangeagain today and its dry right now. One thing spyder suggested since it didn't appear to be leaking from the seal itselfis that it could have been residualfluidtrapped behind the pinion nut working its way out. Ipray this holds true. If so, no more mods til I get a 2nd car.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Johnmichael
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PowerHitter

Timmay!!!

Ialso had a high speed vibration and grinding soundwith my 4.10 gear set install. Ended up having three different gear sets installed (all FRPP) with threedifferent shops to get the vibration out. Along the way I tried a PowerHouse Aluminum driveshaft, which only made problems worse. The vibration at high speed is now 99.99% gone, but I ended up with some gear wine on acceleration and a click noise when I gently engage the clutch from a stop. I have decided to live with it.
Please let me know what the other shops did differently to remove most of the vibration. I'm having extreme high speed vibration after my3.73 was installed. I took it back to the shop that installed them and he found the gears had walked thus putting teeth marks in the carrier. He put it back together but it didn't help. Before I order another set of gears and have another shop do them I was hoping you could give me some info that would help.

As for the giving up part, I knew these things were a part of modding, so it's going to take something else for me to let the car go.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever just wanna call it quits?