Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

20" Foose Nitrous and tire sensor problems?

Old 06-29-2007, 08:19 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 20" Foose Nitrous and tire sensor problems?

Well, I told the dealer that not having the TPMS work was unacceptable (just on the basis of the fact that I bought the car that way, and it's their damn problem to get it back that way). It turns out that the Ford F-150 Harley edition has 20" rims from the factory, and Ford makes the steel (not plastic) bands that go on those. So the dealer is putting in 4 new steel bands on the rims, which will get me the car back with TPMS intact. Still worrisome, though, that they did this in the first place (sales guys put the package together, service/parts guys tell me they don't know what they're doing most of the time).

I think the solution mentioned with a PVC pipe and a pressure valve in the trunk is ingenious as hell - MacGyver lives!

--
dbspcl
'07 GT coupe stick, tungsten-grey metallic, appearance package, interior upgrade, Eibach springs, adjustable panhard, Roush quarter-window louvers, Steeda tri-ax, Webelectric sequentials
Old 06-30-2007, 03:24 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 20" Foose Nitrous and tire sensor problems?

ORIGINAL: Cobrakev

Ok, yes you can use your old sensors on the Foose 20" rims. They sell the 20" bands at Discount tire. I think Napa now has them. All they do is take your old sensor and slide it on the new band. It looks just like factory installed. Just make sure they put the sensor 180 out from the valve stem. Yes, it is a Federal law that the 07's have the TPMS installed, so make sure they put the sensors back. There is no way to turn the sensors off from the computer. If it was me, I would tell the dealer to take your wheels and sensors to Discount Tire and have them install everything. They will do it right.
And this is the correct answer.

I would go buy the correct bands myself and then take them to the dealer along with the car and have them fix the issue. Then once they get that taken care of present the bill to them and ask for reimbursement since that is how it should have been done to begin with.

Richard
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
white531
1st Gear Member

The tube did not work for me.The ford procedure says the signal is generated from the wheel turning plus air pressure.I have been at this for a year and it still kicks my ***.I will not give up.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Wow. talk about back from the dead. I work at a Merchants Tire shop and IMO the TPMS are pieces of ****. They break easy when changing the tire and are just another censor to go bad. Not to mention they are expensive, I say take those bitches off and just monitor the tire pressure the old fashioned way.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
xfactor95
1st Gear Member

TPMS is bull**** just like everyone else in the tread has complained. i work at a tire shop and have to deal with it everyday.

you can buy sensors and straps to fit larger wheels. when i installed sensors on my 20" black chrome FR500s i had to cut off about 10" of the strap. my suggestion is to install the sensors on your larger wheels and and have your TPMS working properly. as i said earlier, i hate TPMS but when you have $300 low profile tires you want to know when the tire gets low as your driving. it doesnt take much to ruin them by driving on them soft.

BTW if you have vehical inspections like i do in new york, since TPMS is a safety feature, it will not be long until it is a part of a vehical inspection.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
xfactor95
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by white531
The tube did not work for me.The ford procedure says the signal is generated from the wheel turning plus air pressure.I have been at this for a year and it still kicks my ***.I will not give up.
i have not seen the tube work for anyone because the sensors go into "sleep" mode to conserve battery life, and are "awoke" by the rotation of the tire.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Instead of buying these bands, couldnt you go to the hardware store and buy a bigass hose clamp? Isnt that all they really are?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I didn't read all the posts but if you decide to get new sensors, get them from newtakeoff.com

Its like $60 for all of them, discount tire wanted like $200 for each one. Lawl.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Instead of buying these bands, couldnt you go to the hardware store and buy a bigass hose clamp? Isnt that all they really are?
Yeppers, but you will need the 3M acrylic tape.
Not only are there metal bands,
but there is also 3M acrylic tape
under the cradles the sensors mount in.
Read all about it.
You should be able to get bands for
the 20" fooses. But be sure whom ever
does the work to do it correctly or
you will have another loose sensor and
chewed up tire.