Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinions on what I should do next????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Opinions on what I should do next????

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

I would ask some people who have done a cam swap before blowing like $2000 on them. From what I hear they get you less than 10 HP.

I am interested in hearing about this Fast Intake though.....can you give us a link or some info on it?
somewhere in this forum there's a thread entitled "cams are in and here are the numbers" that can elaborate on this (tried to find it just now but can't...I know it's around somewhere...)

Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I was saving for SC and decided to through the bottle at it in the mean time. [sm=nxsmile.gif] Just an idea!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Gears?
Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

I would ask some people who have done a cam swap before blowing like $2000 on them. From what I hear they get you less than 10 HP.

I am interested in hearing about this Fast Intake though.....can you give us a link or some info on it?
"Although torque did decrease a few foot pounds down low the upper RPM’s torque increased approximately 25 ft. lbs. and power jumped 25 rwhp!"

Brent wrote up a nice article with Full bolt-ons and Cams. I suggest you take a look at it before you make blind statements.[8D]
http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/compcams.html

It's not a blind statement. If you read carefully it is simply a warning based on what I have heard. I am not going to do all his research for him and report back to him. There's nothing wrong with warning him about things I have read on this site. Plenty of people have been dynoed with minimal results, regardless of what Brent wrote in an article.

Even if it is 25 HP....is it worth $2000? Not in my book.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:00 AM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

cams, ds, gears, nitrous(until you can s/c)
Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

"Although torque did decrease a few foot pounds down low the upper RPM’s torque increased approximately 25 ft. lbs. and power jumped 25 rwhp!"

Brent wrote up a nice article with Full bolt-ons and Cams. I suggest you take a look at it before you make blind statements.[8D]
http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/compcams.html

It's not a blind statement. If you read carefully it is simply a warning based on what I have heard. I am not going to do all his research for him and report back to him. There's nothing wrong with warning him about things I have read on this site. Plenty of people have been dynoed with minimal results, regardless of what Brent wrote in an article.

Even if it is 25 HP....is it worth $2000? Not in my book.
I've been gone a little while and every thread I have seen has been about 30 RWHP on a Full-Bolt on Mustang. He ruled out a blower so anything else that would add that much HP is bound to cost a pretty penny. There are also a few threads about 400+ RWHP with H/C+ Bolt ons.

I have heard about 10 RWHP gains on a totally stock engine, but if you look at his mods, hese got a pretty nice list, so that would rule out your warning. Sorry if I am coming off as a dick, I didn't mean to sound like that on the first post.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

FAST intake is not coming anytime soon and is not going to get those numbers....they have been talking about it for almost 1.5 years now and have had to completely start over i think.

Get rid of the 20s and get 18s and that will pick you up some HP

1 piece DS does not dropyou 40 lbs.....talk about blind statements!
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...riveshaft.html

Gears, while gaining you no HP will change the way the car gets up and goes that is for sure.

Cams are good if the install doesnt cost an arm and a leg

You really should get a custom dyno tune....the "canned" Xcal tune is really robbing you of alot of extra HP with the mods you have i would imagine.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: howarmat

FAST intake is not coming anytime soon and is not going to get those numbers....they have been talking about it for almost 1.5 years now and have had to completely start over i think.

Get rid of the 20s and get 18s and that will pick you up some HP

1 piece DS does not dropyou 40 lbs.....talk about blind statements!
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...riveshaft.html

Gears, while gaining you no HP will change the way the car gets up and goes that is for sure.

Cams are good if the install doesnt cost an arm and a leg

You really should get a custom dyno tune....the "canned" Xcal tune is really robbing you of alot of extra HP with the mods you have i would imagine.
hmmpf, someone is cut-throat and to the point today.

When I skimmed through a few articles looking for the weight savings I accidentally put the weight of the stock driveshaft, which weighs 42.3 lbs. It was more of a warning by the way and not a blind statement, if you look at what I said, "They are 40(?) lbs" the (?) would suggest I wasn't sure.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its all good...i was just laughing after what you told Dave....its still a great mod and does free up quite a bit of HP and sounds a hell of a lot better than the stock clanker they gave us.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 PM
phimutau

I do have a custom tune from Lonestar Performance in Garland, TX. My last upgrade was the new exhaust system with longtubes and offroad x pipe. I had the dyno at 305rwhp before those were added and was really excited and thinking I would be close to 320 when it was completed. However, like I stated earlier, I only got 5rwhp. I was bummed, until I drove her. That 310rwhp is just peak. The way she drives is totally different than before. I have been told that the 3" exhaust is what has caused the limited gains. However, I do plan on SC it someday so the exhaust is a great prerequisite. Plus I get instant road respect when I am next to someone and drop her down and hammer on it.

I really appreciate all of your feedback. I hope to get some pics up soon so yall can see her and let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: Opinions on what I should do next????