Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

looking at 07 gt: stick or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: looking at 07 gt: stick or auto?

I have an auto and ove it, gramp_stang is right about the shifting. Basically get what you want it's all a matter of preference and driving style.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

while the auto can be downshifted when heading into a tight turn but there is a very long delay between the time you move the lever, say from 3rd into 2nd, to when it actually shifts. There are also pauses when you floor it while at speed, like when trying to pass on the freeway.
But if straight line acceleration (or city driving) is your thing, go with the auto.
I'm still waiting for paddleshifters. If they are on all the Ferarri's and Lambos I think they should work on a Mustang.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

I'm really surprised this thread hasn't turned into a full-on sticks vs. autos flamewar. Anyway, IMO they each have their ups and downs...I love my stick, revving gratuitously with a simple push of the clutch, dumping the clutch, laying a nice patch of rubber on a mid-rpm 1-2 shift, downshifting and hearing the exhaust bark back at me...having complete and instant control over the car, really..however, with auto you're consistent as hell as far as racing goes and can also eat a hamburger more easily while driving...ideally I'd like to have one of each but no such luck. Hopefully you're not a glass-is-half-empty person who will pine for one while driving the other...
p.s. my official vote is for stick.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

I vote for what which ever will make you happy. I just traded my '06 V6 for a '07 V8 becuase it made me happy and it was what I wanted. If you really don't want the auto, don't get it. If you would rather have the auto, get it. The 5spd auto they put in these cars are actually really good. Test drive both in the 8, I did. To me the stick was alot more fun. But then again, I may regret it, becuase I'm actually pretty lazy and like to drink my Starbucks while going down the road...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

I love manuals, but I'm LAZY[sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 AM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

i went to go drive the gt in a stick today... 1) they didnt really have any that were similar as far as options and what not to the auto i have picked out, 2) the sales rep said that i wouldnt be able to get my 'ford partner discount' if i were to get a stick because they are 'marked up so much' bla bla bla. i do love both. both have their ups and downs. in an ideal world, we would all have autos AND sticks, but sh*t, the world aint perfect. im going to go with the auto a) because it will save me money overall (x plan discount as opposed to sticker) b) after reading, you can still maintain a descent amount of control over the car after learning how to drive the auto, and c) ill be able to eat/drink while driving! lol.

now the only question is... do i keep the 18" polished chrome wheels or save another 600$ and switch to the 17" painted aluminums......... hmmm
Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

You can get X-Plan on an M5 as well as an A5. The dealer just doesnt want to have to dealer transfer it and give up part of the profits to the other dealer. The only thing you give up for the M5 is the extra $645 Rebate that covers the "Free Automatic" Ford is currently offering.

Go on Fords website and play with the dealer locator and you should be able to search all the inventories within the range you are willing to drive. Find the color, trans, and options you want. You may want to try using the internet sales departmentwhen you find the car you want.The local dealers were offering a $250-300 cheaper price this way than X-Plan. If the internet option doesnt pan out just call up and ask them if they except X-Plan andtell them the stock number you want.

PS I just bought a car 10 days ago.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I dunno, drove manuals for the first 18 years of driving, then bought an automatic pickup and drove that for 6 years. Now I have been driving a manual GT for 2 years('05 first, now an '06) and I could see a 'vert GT being automatic, but for a coupe, you have to go stick IMO.
Although I'd have to have my left leg amputated before I'd buy an automatic GT..............
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Here we go yet again
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sharkbait20

i went to go drive the gt in a stick today... 1) they didnt really have any that were similar as far as options and what not to the auto i have picked out, 2) the sales rep said that i wouldnt be able to get my 'ford partner discount' if i were to get a stick because they are 'marked up so much' bla bla bla. i do love both. both have their ups and downs. in an ideal world, we would all have autos AND sticks, but sh*t, the world aint perfect. im going to go with the auto a) because it will save me money overall (x plan discount as opposed to sticker) b) after reading, you can still maintain a descent amount of control over the car after learning how to drive the auto, and c) ill be able to eat/drink while driving! lol.

now the only question is... do i keep the 18" polished chrome wheels or save another 600$ and switch to the 17" painted aluminums......... hmmm
I think your salesman is full of sh*t and too lazy to start the whole test drive/ppw process over for a different stock number. Anyway, it seems you've made the decision...get some drag radials and you can do some serious no-brainer stoplight racing! I remember my 93 z28, auto w/ nitto drag radials...talk about consistent! And enjoy eating a hamburger while handing someone their a$$ lol...

Quick Reply: looking at 07 gt: stick or auto?