Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hellion power and required/recommended upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 AM
RideZX6R

Default Hellion power and required/recommended upgrades?

Hey all,
I've got my sportbike on ebay right now and I'm planning on picking up an 05+ Mustang GT 5 speed to replace it. After I buy it (over the winter likely) I'd be planning on purchasing the Hellion single turbo kit for the car. I'd like to see about 450whp from the car (from what I've read, as long as it has a good tune this is possible on the stock motor) and I'd like to know what upgrades people recommend for this power level. I knwo the kit doesn't include a fuel pump upgrade, so I'd be doing an upgraded fuel pump (not sure what pump it takes - any suggestions?) and a clutch sounds like a good idea too to cope with the extra power.
I'd plan on a boost controller, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and most likely a wideband as well. I plan on tuning with a person I trust (most likely with SCT). I'll be doing the suspension and brakes before I add the turbo kit.
What else would you guys recommend (engine/driveline related) that I might've left out?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:11 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hellion power and required/recommended upgrades?

welcome and i like how you have most
everything layed out. the plan sounds fine
to me.

good luck with the project and we hope to see
you in the boost lounge someday....

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 AM
RideZX6R

I've done plenty of boosted cars before... But I figured maybe there were some tips or tricks that are S-197 specific, if not... That's great!
Last question .... 450-500whp should be ok with the right tune correct? I've seen this before with a stock motor, but I assume that (like most things) it's all in the tune.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

You should be ok at those power levels but like they say it’s all in the tune. I would add a recommendation to get the Spyder or PH one piece drive shaft to go with you other mods, everything else looks well thought out.

Earl
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

I have the hellion setup with 9 psi and you can see my numbers in my sig on a dyno jet and a mustang dyno. IMO 500 rwhp no matter how good the tune is will not hold for ever, now how long could that be depends on the tuner, maybe you get 1k miles and boom maybe you get 10k miles either way it will brake. Now 450 rwhp (which is about where I'm at with dyno jet numbers) I have the saleen suspension of course, Fuel pump will be fine as I have no issues with mine what so ever, but if you want to change go ahead. As for the boost controler, I think this is what will get you in trouble, it will be to tempting to push up the boost and then your in trouble. my stock brakes were fine, but I got a sick deal on a 4k+ kit so I jumped on it. I don't think the D/S is a must, but again its a nice mod. Get a good custom Dyno Tune, A/F wideband and boost gauge, everything else comes with the kit that you will need IMO, like I said I have no issues with stock fuel pump. in fact I pushed for one with my shop and he said don't worry about it, he could of made the extra money on me and was honest and I trust him and I have had no issues!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
RideZX6R

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

I have the hellion setup with 9 psi and you can see my numbers in my sig on a dyno jet and a mustang dyno. IMO 500 rwhp no matter how good the tune is will not hold for ever, now how long could that be depends on the tuner, maybe you get 1k miles and boom maybe you get 10k miles either way it will brake. Now 450 rwhp (which is about where I'm at with dyno jet numbers) I have the saleen suspension of course, Fuel pump will be fine as I have no issues with mine what so ever, but if you want to change go ahead. As for the boost controler, I think this is what will get you in trouble, it will be to tempting to push up the boost and then your in trouble. my stock brakes were fine, but I got a sick deal on a 4k+ kit so I jumped on it. I don't think the D/S is a must, but again its a nice mod. Get a good custom Dyno Tune, A/F wideband and boost gauge, everything else comes with the kit that you will need IMO, like I said I have no issues with stock fuel pump. in fact I pushed for one with my shop and he said don't worry about it, he could of made the extra money on me and was honest and I trust him and I have had no issues!
Thanks for the reply sir.
I'm definitely set on a wideband and gauges... In my mind, those aren't something you can ever do without.
As far as the 500whp and boost controller goes... The idea was they go hand in hand.
I'd keep the car at like probably 6-7psi for daily driving (which I assume will be approx 400whp) and then turn up to high boost at the track and on rare street occasions. I only really put 35 miles on my car every week driving to work and back and maybe another 50 pleasure miles on weekends so, if it sees 1500 500whp miles in the first year I'd be VERY surprised.
Not to mention I have plenty of willpower against turning up the boost... I own a sportbike now and ride it like a grandma whenever I'm not at the track. There's no need to be a hooligan if you have something that fast.
Thanks for the insight on the pump tho ... if you really don't need it maybe I'll skip it, or just do it as a last mod.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 AM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Well if your dead set on 500 rwhp and plan on turning up the boost from 400-500 then you may need to get the Pump. Yup like I said get the guages! I don't see you getting 400 rwhp with this kit on 6-7 psi. It would need to be a strong tune. The issue you may see if tuning the Turbo is not easy and you may be advised by your tuner not to mess with the boost controller at all. 6-7 psi may be different tune than whatever it takes to get 500 rwhp (11psi)

Since you don't drive much thats a plus on going 500 rwhp. But I have seen guys drive from shops with less than that, with a pretty good tuner and they go boom. But good luck, post pics and let us know how it goes.!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
RideZX6R

Well as soon as the bikes sells (hopefully in the next week or two) I'll be Mustang hunting.
Hopefully I'll have a car in my possession by end of August. And then, it'll probably be an over-the-winter project to finish the turbo kit install.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

6-7lbs with STS will get you over 400rwhp.

Get the GT40 dual pumps
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

what kind of timing?

Quick Reply: Hellion power and required/recommended upgrades?