Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tubes...MAC vs Hedman

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default Long Tubes...MAC vs Hedman

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting long tubes and an off road X to compliment my Borla Catbacks.

Has anyone heard of Hedman Street Hedders? Summit has them for $330.39 and then for $237.39 is the Exhaust Pipe; X-Treme Exhaust Equalizer; H-Pipe; For Use With Header. I was either going to get that (which ends up being like $580) or the Mac 1 3/4 long tubes with prochamber. The MACs though are $824, about $240 more. Are they really worth it?

"Hedman Street Hedders are one of the best buys in bolt-on performance.
For the price, no other part can give you the horsepower and fuel-economy improvements of Hedman headers. They make their Hedman Street Hedders so well that they guarantee them to be free from defects--including cracks in the tubes and welds--for the life of the headers. Hedman Street Hedders are available in black painted or ceramic coated finishes, and, as an added bonus, they also come with all necessary gaskets and mounting hardware."
HeaderMaterial: Steel HeaderFinish: Painted HeaderStyle: Full-length PrimaryTubeDiameter(in): 1 3/4 in. CollectorDiameter(in): 3.000 in. Tuned: No PrimaryTubeGauge: 16-gauge FlangeStyle: Standard FlangeThickness(in): 1/4 in. Bolts/StudsIncluded: Yes GasketsIncluded: Yes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tubes...MAC vs Hedman

wow sounds like a cheap deal, wonder if they're any good? I'm also interested in this now...
Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I haven't heard about Hedman headers in years. They were (are?) a popular aftermarket exhaust back in the 70s for muscle cars--I think I had Hedmans on my '69 Roadrunner but replaced them with Hookers soon after getting the car.

I have no idea how well they perform or fit for S197 Mustangs. Note that Mac's have been hit or miss in terms of quality, but they sound pretty good coupled with their Prochamber.

John
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

It looks like the Hedman's are coated steel, and I think the MACs are stainless, so that's something to consider. Also, CrazyAl always recommended Kooks, Dynatech, and American Racing. These brands are expensive but fit well and are made of the highest quality stainless.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Likewise, Hedman was very popular with muscle cars back "in the day." I think I may have to try them if no one else has any comments about them.

~Fred
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

It looks like the Hedman's are coated steel, and I think the MACs are stainless, so that's something to consider.
Whats the difference? I was gonna get the ceramic coated Hedmans.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read coatings are not extremely durable, but that's just what I've read (no personal experience). I feel it's wise to keep the exhaust system stainless steel, although I also plan on keeping this car forever.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

Heddman are painted mild steel=rust

My mac longtubes are ceramic coated stainless, look far better, and I love the look and sound.
the coating (paint) on the heddmans comes off after about 2 weeks (my pacesetters on my truck did) anyways, and looks like shiit,
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ModernMuscle

Heddman are painted mild steel=rust

My mac longtubes are ceramic coated stainless, look far better, and I love the look and sound.
the coating (paint) on the heddmans comes off after about 2 weeks (my pacesetters on my truck did) anyways, and looks like shiit,
+1 Unless you are getting stainless, they will rust within weeks. If you go with painted, they will probably rust the first time you get the car fully warmed up.

This is from experience...not with these EXACT headers, but from 15 years of muscle car trial and error! Do it right THE FIRST time!!! It SEEMS to be a screaming deal...but when you have to re-do them in a year, how good of a deal was it??

When it comes to exhaust, remember onlytwo words....STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!!!!!!